Author Topic: New Deer Churchyard Stone search  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Ades

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Deer Churchyard Stone search
« on: Friday 02 November 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I was looking for a head stone at New Deer Churchyard but was unable to locate the stone, I know the stone number but have no idea where in the churchyard to find it.
Was wondering if anybody could help with a plan or map showing where stones are in respect to the number of the stone, Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: New Deer Churchyard Stone search
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ades

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just a thought...

What is the source of the number you have? Could it be the lair reference number rather that the stone itself?

www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2282390/new-deer-churchyard - Have you tried searching here? They have photographed to date 21% of the stones there.

See also www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?AcctView=Login&SrchView=Basic&DetsView=Content&ListSource=Contributors&section=CONTRIBUTORS&context=ABERSHIRE&lang=E

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a map. Let me know the names of the people mentioned on the stone.

Offline Ades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 November 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello GR2,

Thanks very much for your reply, I am looking for Alexander Catto, Born 1886, Died 1960 and his brother Gavin Catto, Born 1893, Died 1959
They were farmers at Auchreddie New Deer.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I will send you a personal message to get the map to you.

A transcription of the inscription reads:

1863. Erected by Thomas Catto & Barbra Baxter in Auchreddie in memory of their son James d. 2 July 1862 aged 30, their daughter Christian d. 18 April 1858 aged 28, their son Alexander d. 18 February 1860 aged 7. Their grandchild Christian Jeffrey d. 24 June 1862 aged 9. Above Barbra Baxter d. 10 September 1885 aged 78, above Thomas Catto d. 26 January1887 aged 78. His grandchild James Catto d. 15 January 1887 aged 2 years 3 months. His son Thomas d. 5 July 1929 ahed 83. His grandson William d. 7 May 1929 aged 45. Mary Bruce wife of his son Thomas d. 26 December 1946 aged 83. [on the back of the stone] Also Gavin youngest son of Thomas and Mary Catto d. 24 November 1959 aged 66. Also their son Alexander d. 28 October 1960 aged 74.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 November 18 19:35 GMT (UK) »
How spooky - I've just been revisiting this branch of my family to tie up some loose ends  :o

Barbara Baxter is my 4 x great aunt, so your Alexander and Gavin Catto are distant cousins of mine.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Ades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Ruthhelen,

I am at the early stages of trying to trace my family roots, making good progress though with the help from others !!

Alexander and Gavin Catto are my Great Great Uncles, their sister Barbara Ann Catto is my Great Grandmother.
Still trying to piece together if there are any more siblings, I think there is a George Catto that may be a brother, will get there in the end.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 November 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I might be able to help you along a bit...  ;D I have six siblings for Barbara Ann Catto so far:

William Catto, b. 1884 New Deer; d. 1929 New Deer.

Alexander Catto, b. 1886 New Deer; d. 1960 New Deer.

George Pirie Catto, b. 1888 New Deer; d. 1963 New Deer.
m. Mary Bella Souter, 1915 New Deer. They had five children that I’ve found so far.

John Catto, b. 1890 New Deer. He appears to have emigrated to Australia and married Elizabeth Ann Evans, 1928 Sydney. They had at least one child. I haven’t found a death for John.

Gavin Catto, b. 1893, New Deer; d. 1959 New Deer.

Mary Catto, b. 1895, New Deer - I haven’t managed to find out what happened to her after 1901.

There is also a half-sister - Georgina Simpson or Bruce, also known as Georgina Catto - who was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Bruce, born prior to her marriage to Thomas Catto. She was born in 1880 in New Pitsligo and died in 1957 in Aberdeen.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Ades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Ruth,

Very impressive, thanks very much that's a lot of gaps filled already, your a star.
Are you located in Aberdeenshire ??   

GR2

Thanks again for your information, I returned to the churchyard today and have found the stone !!
Its still standing and the front of the stone is in remarkable condition considering it was erected in 1863, the same can not be said for the back of the stone but you can just make out the engraving.

Ades