Author Topic: Leicester Burial lookups  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Elaine280

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leicester Burial lookups
« on: Friday 02 November 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm wondering if anyone could help me with the burial of the following:

Arthur  Beckett b 1877 in Staffordshire died 1929 in Leicester.  On the directories in 1925 he was down at 38 Morley Road and I think he was a cab driver.

Also Arthur Beckett, 1904 in Leicester and I think he died in 1987 (but not sure about that one, sorry).

Doris Beckett 1899 and died 1965 in the 1939 register they are both living in 11 Worrall Close, Leicester.

Thanks in Advance

Elaine

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester Burial lookups
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 18 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Well Morley Road is Spinney Hills area, close to the city centre ( Welford Rd cemetery a few mins away) and Worrall Close is Braunstone area although my guess is they are all likely to be at Groby Rd which is Gilroes Cemetery

https://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-community/births-marriages-and-deaths/funerals-burials-and-cremations/cemeteries/gilroes-cemetery/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
There is an Andrew Beckett listed in the Welford Road Cemetery Directory as follows:

Beckett Andrew: Buried March 26th 1927 Aged 50 Years of 38 Morley Road, Leicester. Buried in Section O Plot 682

I have nothing as late as 1965 I'm afraid.

Other occupants of grave O 682:

Beckett Elizabeth Feb 6th 1905 Aged 65 of Nottingham Road
Beckett Sarah Mar 15th 1905 Aged 38 of Nottingham Road
Beckett James May 3rd 1926 Aged 60 of 38 Meynall Road

Hope that helps

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Having looked through the various census returns, this does appear to have been a family plot with Elizabeth Beckett (living in Stafford in 1881) already a widow at 44 with sons William, James and Arthur.

They had moved to Prospect Hill Evington by 1891 joined by daughter Sarah (and two granddaughters)

It looks as if my Welford Road Directory, which is a transcription on CD, contains the two errors - Andrew for Arthur and Meynall for Morley!

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Elaine280

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 18 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Alan.  I'm looking up my husbands family, his father is from Leicester but moved to Liverpool when he married.  He didn't really talk about his family and passed away earlier this year.  I ordered Arthur Beckett (1904) birth certificate on the PDF GRO website from his date of birth on the 39 register but not sure if it's him!  I've now ordered my husbands dads birth certificate so hopefully can get more info.  I've even looked on the newspaper archive website but there doesn't seem to be much out there about Leicester or I'm looking in the wrong places!  Thanks for your help, will keep looking.

Elaine

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 November 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Two bits of information which might help. The relevant Parish Church in Leicester, at least around the turn of the century was St Barnabas.

Arthur Beckett (aged 22 years - Cab proprietor) married Lilian Green (aged 23 years) on August 22nd 1899. They were both living in Nottingham Road. Arthur's father was recorded as John Beckett (deceased). Lilian's as Alfred Henry Green. Lilian came from Kidderminster.

By 1911, the family were living at 11 Sutherland Street, Highfields, Leicester. There was a history of seven births with two infant deaths. Also living with them was Harry Smith (32 - cousin) and William Green, Lilian's brother.

Although they declared 5 children still living, only four are listed on the census (Arthus, Lizzie, Florrie, Alice).

The Baptismal records of St Barnabas are available on FindMyPast. None for Arthur and Lilian but there are the following two (? relatives):

Elsie Gertrude 1907 and Doris (1909) of John Haycock and Gertrude Maria Beckett

Cheers Alan

Offline Elaine280

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan

The birth cert I got for Arthur Beckett (1904) his fathers name is Arthur Osborne Beckett, occupation Iron Moulder and his mothers name Elizabeth formerly Osborne living at 39 Russell Street.  I've looked at the marriages on free BMD and the only marriage I can find is for an Elizabeth Osborne to a Harry Beckett in 1901.  I've looked on the GRO website and the Arthur Beckett whose mother is Lilian Green was borne in 1901. 

Elaine

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Well, not sure I can go much further with this. The index for the Leicestershire part of the 1939 Register does list:

Arthur W Beckett (b. 1901) married to Beatrice
Arthur(b. 1904) married to Doris

Obviously my previous replies appear to relate to the former (which includes cab driver Arthur as his father!).

Alan

Offline Elaine280

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I should have given this info, sorry Alan but thanks for your help

Elaine