Author Topic: Military service history  (Read 1897 times)

Offline gcooper79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military service history
« on: Friday 02 November 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Robert Mclachlan 412079

Hi,

I am trying to research my great grandfather’s miltary service for my dad. From conversations with my dad, I’ve learned that my grandfather was either a colour sargeant major or a regiment sargeant major in the royal engineers. My uncle has his medals but unfortunately I do not know which ones but my dad is certain he received the military medal and also a bar.
I have managed to find a service record online for my grandfather but I have a few questions regarding it.

1) There are 2 regimental numbers - 2251 and 412079.  We were only aware in the 412079 number. Why would there be 2 numbers?

2) There is no mention of his military medal or his rank of csm /rsm. Would there be another record, perhaps later that would show this?

3) also, I’m not sure what disemb means in the remarks section can anyone clarify?

I would be grateful if anyone could assist or point me in the right direction as I have no idea how to proceed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Graeme

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Military service history
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat.

The award of Military Medal is recorded on a separate card. They are available on Ancestry and FindMyPast bu there are no images of the cards attached. Here is the link to the card on TNA wesite :
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6191946 .

The details in the index are

Robert McLachlan 412079
Lance Corporal Acting Corporal
409th Fd Coy RE British Expeditionary Force
Gazette date 12 June 1918
Military Medal + Bar
Theatre of War France

It may not be possible to find out how he came to be awarded the medal but a more knowledgeable
member may be able to advise you about that.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a piece in the Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser of 14 Dec 1918 , giving details of the award of the bar. I don't have time to give all the details but here are a few points :

He gained the MM on 24th March.
on 4th November at the crossing of the Somme-Oise Canal at Boix Labbaxe Lock he was entrusted with the guiding and technical handling of a bridge covered by an infantry party. After they were successfully guided up and he superintended a party of Sappers , placing them in position , he was wounded. He carried out valuable reconnaissance within 20 yards of the enemy at the Lock.The information gained was of the greatest assistance in the advance. For this he was recommended for the Bar. He had been serving since the outbreak of the war .

Offline gcooper79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you so much Christine. I can’t believe you managed to dind all that information so quickly. I’m sure my dad will be very grateful.

Thanks again,

Graeme

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

To answer your specific questions - the first 4 digit number was his original territorial regiment enlistment number - in 1916 these were replaced with the six digit number.

Dismb = disembodied - the term used for demobilisation of men who had previous Territorial Army service - he would have been "embodied" in August 1914 on the outbreak of the war

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline gcooper79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply jds1949. 

Is there anywhere that would list his full military career in the one place? I’m trying to sift through ancestry but there are thousands of records relating to different robert mclachlans. It’s probably to do with my poor searching techniques  :)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
More than 60% of WW1 service records were lost to enemy action n the 1940 Blitz, the ones that remained, fire and water damaged, are now available via Ancestry. You have both his service numbers, and his regiment, so it's just a question of finding a match to any documents/record that may have survived.

It's possible that the local paper of the time may have carried information on him when he won his medal. Your local library should have access to newspapers online [either British Newspaper Archive or via Find My Past] - which are searchable by name and date - worth a try.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline gcooper79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll check them out.  Christine managed to find an article in the local paper last night which mentioned his military medal and bar.

Graeme