Author Topic: Understanding Parishes in Stroud  (Read 731 times)

Offline Susan_King

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Understanding Parishes in Stroud
« on: Saturday 03 November 18 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find parent information for a James King, born about 1805 in Minchinhampton, according to census data.  Because of the date (pre-1837) I'm using parish records.  These are available on Ancestry.  I do have a map of parishes, and know that Stroud, Kings Stanley, Minchinhampton, etc. are in the same vicinity.

I live in Canada, so I'm a little geographically challenged when it comes to England.  Please forgive my ignorant questions.  How likely is it that James King, who reported consistently that he was born in Minchinhampton, was baptized in Stroud?  I can't find any James King baptized in 1805-6 in Minchinhampton on-line, but there is one in Stroud.  On one census he said he was born in "Hampton".  Is this the same as Minchinhampton?  I can't find a parish listing for Hampton.  Or are the parish records likely to be incomplete?  I can't find anything on-line that addresses the completeness of these records.

Sorry if this should have been posted in the look-up section - I just found this site and am finding my way around.

Susan

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Parishes in Stroud
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 18 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The baptism of James King in 1805 lists his parents as John King and Jane (daughter of Walter Wicks)  and there is a marriage of the parents on the parish records the year before in Stroud.   

One of my ancestors took there first child to be baptised in the wife's home parish so might this have been the case here??  I also noticed a John King was buried in Minchinhampton on 13 Apr 1806  which might be relevant

Kay

Added - However in 1841/51/61 census there is a John King B 1793 Rodborough with wife Jane still living in Stroud who would be a good match for the parents of the James bapt in 1805 in  Stroud.   It is possible that James's mother was unmarried when James was born and later married a King  :-\

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought  - Was by any chance your James  living in Kings Stanley in 1841 with wife Ann and son Jonathan ??   

I noticed that one of his neighbours was a William King age 40 with wife Hannah - I think is the same William in 1851 listed as born Hampton and living with mother Esther King https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG23-TN8

Kay

Added - The  GRO birth index lists Jonathan King b 1839 (son of James and Ann) with mother's maiden name Hooper and  there is a marriage of James King to Ann Hooper in 1827 in Kings Stanley.  The witnesses were William King and Hannah King

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan_King,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Like Kay I have ancestors whose children were baptised in the wife's parent's parish which threw me for a while especially as several locations were recorded but the censuses showed that in this case the wife's parents had moved locations. 

A likely explanation is that the wife went to her mother's house for the actual birth and the baptism was conducted soon after still at the same location.  One of my wife's ancestors recorded in their family bible the birth date and times to the second - and the sad deaths of several babies with comments which were a real tear jerker - and that their children were born at the grandparent's house and baptised from there.  I presume the grandparents looked after the older children as the family grew allowing the father to continue working from the family home which would have been essential in the mid 1800s and an agricultural worker.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
?

Although at the moment, can't find any birth records, do wonder whether we are talking about Non-Conformists (on Ancestry)  England & Wales Non-Conformists and Non-Parochial Register 1567-1970

Joseph & Hester : abode Kings Stanley - had a couple of children, baptised at Rodborough Tabernacle  (Calvinistic Methodist)

Peter KING baptised, 28 February 1802 (born 9 January 1802)
John KING baptised, 9 April 1803 (born 26 June 1803)

(There are also earliest baptisms at Kings Stanley, parents: Joseph & Esther - but on the Church Register, not Non-Conformists)

There are a number of KING's from Storehouse/Rodborough etc Non-Conformists.

Peter KING is on the  1841 census in Michinhampton

---

Joseph & Mary KING had Ellen christened 1832 residence: Kings Stanley - mother's maiden name WEBSTER and Alfred William KING - 1835 .

Mary WEBSTER's parents were: John & Elizabeth

---

Esther KING on the 1851 census is aged 80  (c1771) born Woodchester, Gloucestershire

? baptism at Woodchester, Gloucestershire, Hesther WALKLY - 17 August 1766 - Father : James

There is a burial 14 April 1841 of Joseph KING aged 85 (Lower Cam) - which is just before the 1841 census.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Joseph KING marriage to Mary WEBSTER

Marriage at Kings Stanley, 17 August 1819

Joseph KING, Bachelor
Mary WEBSTER

By Licence

witnesses: John WEBSTER, Elizabeth WEBSTER, Hester KING

---

There is a Marriage at Kings Stanley, 26 October 1784, of Joseph KING to Hester WALKEY - See previous reply .....and baptisms follow

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I used to live in Stroud.  From Minchinhampton to Stroud (4.6 miles) you just drive over Minchinhampton Common and at a junction bear right down to Bowbridge and along London Road into Stroud.  To go to Rodborough, at the junction bear left across Rodborough Common and into Rodborough. (3.8 miles in total)  To get to the Rodborough Tabernacle Church (3.5 miles in total), turn left  before reaching Rodborough and go up a very steep hill.  To get to Kings Stanley from Rodborough (2.5 miles) turn left and keep going.  I guess in the 1800s, you could cut across country - you still can but most people take the main roads.

You can also get to Stroud from Minchinhampton by going over Minchinhampton Common and then Rodborough Common (4.2 miles) it all depends which part of Stroud you wanted.   If it was St Laurence Church, then you would take the right hand route (4.4 miles), it's 5 miles if you go through Rodborough.

I hope they went by horse, from Minchinhampton and Rodborough it is all downhill to Stroud, but then it's a long steep hill back again.

Modified - From memory once you get up to the Tabernacle Church you have to come the same way down.  A website says that it was a very popular church and people came from miles around for services.  www.digitalstroud.co.uk/landmarks-rodborough-tabernacle

Offline Susan_King

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all who have responded.  All very helpful.

I do believe the family were Church of England rather than non-conforming, but that is based on history going from present day backwards - it is possible I suppose that they were non-conforming at one time and then switched to Church of England.  Anything is possible, but I am tending to stick with the most likely answer.

As many of you have found - there are so many Kings!

Just a thought  - Was by any chance your James  living in Kings Stanley in 1841 with wife Ann and son Jonathan ??   

I noticed that one of his neighbours was a William King age 40 with wife Hannah - I think is the same William in 1851 listed as born Hampton and living with mother Esther King https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG23-TN8

Kay

Added - The  GRO birth index lists Jonathan King b 1839 (son of James and Ann) with mother's maiden name Hooper and  there is a marriage of James King to Ann Hooper in 1827 in Kings Stanley.  The witnesses were William King and Hannah King

Yes, Kay, this is the same trail I was following; I was wondering whether William was perhaps a brother and so the parent would be Esther, but I can't find anything to link all of this together.  My "james" is definitely the one you highlight - wife Ann (likely as you say Hooper) with son Jonathan.  I can't seem to find evidence for sure that William was a brother; I can't find Esther giving birth to either William or James.

The other possibility was the James baptized in Stroud to John and Jane Wick. 

So these are the two possibilities I was following and I got stuck and posted here.  So I think I'm still stuck.  :(