Author Topic: Harry HUBBARD  (Read 973 times)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry HUBBARD
« on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help with more details on this man.  He is named on the Roll of Honour in our Church (Mellis) as having served in the Army Service Corp during WW1.

I suspect he is Henry Harry Hubbard  1915 age 23 Suffolk Reg 18243, residence Diss & 11 Batt Essex Reg 42481 residence Diss

Married to Mary Jane Nunn in 1913 he died in 1973 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVCB-T9ST & his DOB recorded as 28 July 1891 but nothing on BMD records coincide with that DOB? 

The nearest I can find is a Henry Hubbard in 1886 DecQ Hartismere & this is probably Henry Hubbard age 14 son of  Edward & Maria Hubbard of Wortham 1901CR.  Neither the year or month of birth are anything like that recorded on the death registration of Henry Harry. However Henry of Wortham seems to have morphed into Harry age 24 when he is with Ellen Hubbard age 66 born Mellis.

Could be the same chap but I am not convinced yet - so many Hubbards in this part of the world:)

K

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harry HUBBARD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Was he definitely born in Suffolk?

There is this one registered Dec 1891 Smallburgh to check out

Harold John Hubbard - he might be known as Harry  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
The Henry Harry Hubbard born 28/7/1891 was also born Wortham, son of a Harry Hubbard and Alice Collins.   His birth not listed as Hubbard as his parents marriage not reg'd until Dec.1891 - he appears to be the Harry Collins birth reg'd Sept.1891 Hartismere.   He varies between Henry and Harry in census records but there appears to be no link at all to Mellis via himself, wife, or parents.

I would say that the man you seek is the Harry with Ellen Hubbard in Mellis 1911, shown as visitor.   However, having gone back a little bit I cannot see any family relationship between the 2.   Ellen was the 2nd wife of a Charles Hubbard - he married (1) Sarah Bennett 1870 Hartismere and (2) Ellen Bennett 1884 Stow.   Charles was bc.1848 Mellis whereas Edward, father of Harry (Henry) was born in Wortham and can't see a connection between them.

However, I would definitely think that Harry Hubbard on the Mellis memorial is the one living there in 1911 with Ellen Hubbard (kin or not) who was born as Henry Hubbard (later Harry) in Dec.qtr.1886 Hartismere, mmn Alexander (this being maiden name of Edward Hubbard's wife).   Harry could have lived in Mellis for a few years hence being included on the Mellis memorial.

Perhaps his regiment not shown because although they heard he was killed in WW1 he had left Mellis by then.   Having gone through the Harry/Henry Hubbards killed in WW1 eliminated all but one (wrong age, wrong birthplace) - Harry Hubbard killed 23/7/1918, Bedfordshire Regiment, no.17679 - all I can find out is that his residence was Hitchin, Hertfordshire and personal effects show he had a widow, Emma.   Found a marriage of Harry Hubbard and Emma King 1916 Hitchin BUT the likelihood is that he is the Harry Hubbard birth reg'd 1894 Hitchin so that takes us back to square 1.

I definitely feel he was the Harry with Ellen in Mellis 1911 but what actually became of him I don't know.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette - brilliant. That sounds like a very plausible solution & one that had crossed my mind but without any details of parentage it is very difficult to trace.  The families are undoubtedly linked finding that link might need to go back several generations. 

If someone could please check the military records for WW! Henry Harry Hubbard & see if there is anymore info I would be really grateful - the birth dates on the very basic info I found are about right for Henry Harry Collins (Hubbard).

Thanks for looking Millipede - yes he is certainly from this area.

K

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 November 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Ps. The Roll,of Honour commemorates those who served not just those that lost their lives.