Author Topic: Robert Pegler's wife Jane  (Read 1640 times)

Offline thelilradish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Pegler's wife Jane
« on: Saturday 03 November 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm really struggling to find the wife of my 5th Great Grandfather, Robert Pegler, b. 1777 in Bremhill.

I know her name is Jane and she was born in Ireland around 1779. On one of the censuses she is written as being born in Belfast and on another, in Londonderry.

I can't find a marriage for them anywhere so I'm unable to find out her maiden name. I've searched both in Wiltshire and in Ireland on Ancestry and FamilySearch.

I'd be so grateful of any help at all.

Thank you,

Selina
Sprague (Essex and Somerset)
Clark (Essex, Suffolk spec. Glemsford)
Taylor (Wiltshire spec. Hilmarton, Calne, Tockenham, Lyneham)
Light (Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire)
Kirton (Wiltshire)
Dean (Wiltshire)
Newbury (Wiltshire, Gloucestershire)
Hillier (Wiltshire spec. Avebury)
Hogg (Gloucestershire)
Bromfield (Devon)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Pegler's wife Jane
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Where were their children born?
Cowban

Offline thelilradish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

Thank you for your reply and sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you.

Their children were all born in Bremhill in Wiltshire, so my original thought was that Jane came over to England at some point and married in Bremhill or somewhere close by as her husband was also born there. However, I haven't so far been able to find a marriage in England so thought I would expand my search. Perhaps they married in Ireland for some reason? However, I've still had no luck.

Thanks,

Selina
Kirton (Wiltshire)
Dean (Wiltshire)
Hogg (Gloucestershire)
Bromfield (Devon)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Do you know their religious denomination? As the wedding would have been pre civil registration of marriages you're reliant on parish registers.
What are the children's names and when were they born? Do you have baptisms for the children? What denomination?

Have you considered that Robert may have been in army or navy and their wedding may have happened wherever he was stationed at the time? It might have been anywhere in Britain or Ireland or overseas. Rebellions in Ireland and war with France were occurring when Robert was in his twenties.
Have you tried a marriage search for just Robert Pegler, with no bride's name? Jane may have been Jinny, Jenny, Janet etc. Second marriage of my 5xGGM Jane in that era was by name of Ginny in C. of E. parish register. She and both husbands were Catholic  -  she might be Joanna in R.C. register.

Where are the family in each census? Do they have any lodgers or visitors? Are there any Irish neighbours (preferably born in Belfast or Derry)? What was Robert's occupation?
Cowban

Offline thelilradish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

Thank you for your reply.

All of their children were baptised in to the Church of England.

They are:

Eleanor, b. 1802, Bremhill, Wiltshire
Anne, b. 1805, Bremhill, Wiltshire
Steward, b. 1808, Bremhill, Wiltshire (I thought this spelling was unusual and possibly incorrect, but it continues on censuses throughout his life, so thought this could possibly be a clue?)
Mary, b. 1810, Bremhill, Wiltshire
Susanna, b. 1817, Bremhill, Wiltshire

I hadn't considered that he could have been in the army - I'm a complete amateur and wasn't aware that the conflicts occurred around the time that Robert was in his twenties. There aren't any military records coming up on Ancestry and when I've searched for a marriage with Robert's name
alone and no bride name, the only result that is coming up is a Rupertus Piegler in Salzburg, Austria. I'd always immediately dismissed this as my Ancestry subscription does not cover Europe and I thought that this couldn't have been right at all. But now I'm wondering if this could now be a possibility?

In each census they're in Bremhill in Wiltshire. On the 1851 census, Jane's place of birth looks like it's written as Kilear, Londonderry, Ireland - I've googled Kilear but can't seem to find it so think it's possibly spelled wrong?

They don't have any lodgers or visitors during any of the censuses or any Irish neighbours - although in the 1851 census I've found that one of their nearby neighbours (Ralph Besant) had some visitors and the wife, Elizabeth Besant was born in Liverpool - bit of a stretch though.

Also I noticed on the 1851 census that they live next door to the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Could this be significant?

Robert's occupation is an agricultural labourer.

I'm so grateful for all of your help, thank you so much!

Selina
Kirton (Wiltshire)
Dean (Wiltshire)
Hogg (Gloucestershire)
Bromfield (Devon)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
my suggestion is your Kilear Co. Londonderry is so much more specific than belfast so pursue it first
my guesses include just two places
1.   Killea  in Templemore parish Co. Londonderry ie Derry itself
2.   Kilure Killure in Macosquin Civil Parish, about 2 miles southwards of Coleraine Co. Londonderry

1. using the same sources as below  search for Templemore.
2 continued The United Irishmen rebellion was building up during the 1790’s before 1798, at some stage a major assembly took place around Maghera. Government troops were stationed close to likely hot spots among which your Robert Piegler might have been stationed.  So my further guess is if you don’t have any better leads is to try Maghera church of Ireland records you can download https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/PRONI-Guide-to-Church-Records.pdf

from which you can examine lists of possible existing records
MAGHERA, CO. LONDONDERRY
C.I. Maghera (Derry diocese)
Baptisms, 1785-1869; marriages, 1798­ 1860; burials, 1809-1904. available as microfilm in PRONI ref  MIC1/20, 77
Baptisms, 1870-; marriages, 1861-; vestry minutes, 1870-; register of vestrymen, 1870-.are in local custody
so it’s the first record you might need. next try familysearch.org to see if they have a copy, otherwise eventually you may need to employ a researcher. but try my last suggestion next

so I suggest staying optimistic consider placing a further topic on the RootsChat.Com » Ireland (Historical Counties) » Ireland » Derry (Londonderry) making a cross ref to where you first placed your topic so that researchers don’t duplicate. you should have a more focused  result with luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 November 18 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Selina,

I too thought that Steward might be a clue and also looking at the 1851 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG1W-F1P her place of birth looks as though it could be Kilrar, rather than Kilear.

With that in mind, there are Stewards in Kilrea Parish, Londonderry in the 1831 census on NA site
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

It is just a thought for you to consider.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 November 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that the place could be Kilrea in Co Londonderry and Steward just another version of Stewart.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 November 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that the place could be Kilrea in Co Londonderry and Steward just another version of Stewart.

That is what I thought and wrote above but as Steward was maintained as a first name and it seems that there were Stewards in Kilrea in 1831 (albeit too late for Jane), Steward might be preferable to Stewart. However, worth bearing in mind.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk