Author Topic: Rows and rows of 4s  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rows and rows of 4s
« on: Saturday 03 November 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Help, please!  My laptop seems to have gone mad and is printing an endless stream of 4s. At the moment it is resting and I can type, but I fear this may happen again.  Any suggestions as to how I can stop this?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rows and rows of 4s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Is there something stuck in your keyboard or possibly the 4/r key has given up the ghost.

If it starts again, hold down the shift key and see if it produces sows and rows of “r”s.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it's my fault for nibbling biscuits as I type!  Actually I do suddenly seem to be free from the 444... printing at the moment.  Perhaps I have somehow freed the key, but I'll look at the various remedies now.  Thank you for the links, Hallmark, and for your suggestions, Ray T.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Ray T
Tried holding down the shift key, but nothing happened. Fingers crossed, maybe it has cleared itself.  Thanks. :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Just put it in a case and put it in car standing laptop one end when you're driving somewhere.....  Bumps on road become useful!   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Gillg,  it seems that you cleared the problem, but did you mean that you're getting the numbers appearing on your screen or printing to a printer? Also Hoovering the keyboard or blasting it with compressed air is also likely to help. Also just turning the keyboard and/or laptop over and giving it a good shake should help. You might even have enough leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

Martin

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The endless rows of 4 just showed on the screen.  Haven't tried printing yet.  Anyway, a judicious use of my little pastry brush seems to have done the trick for now, though I'll bear in mind the various solutions offered.  I did find the one which suggested taking off the individual tiles rather alarming :o. Thanks, everyone.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 November 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
After a career in IT, now retired, I never knew the secret of the pastry brush.

Off Topic, I often wonder if you could do DNA tests on the whole family by swabbing the grime off the mouse...

Martin