Author Topic: Church of Ireland rector resources?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Link2Past

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church of Ireland rector resources?
« on: Saturday 03 November 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I've just found out a relative of mine was an ordained minister in the Church of Ireland.  Is there any online record that I can look up to see when he was ordained and what parishes he worked in?

He was born in 1900 in Londonderry.  Using Google has identified which parish he was rector for between 1933 and 1946.  However I can't find any records before or after that.

He may have been rector at Altnagelvin at some point - I've looked at the Glendermott Parish Church website but cannot find any mention of him.

Any help with this appreciated!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Ireland rector resources?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I searched google using his Surname

No results!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a record of Church  of England ministers and the aChurch of Ireland
 might be included or have its own.
Crockfords is the Cof E directory.
May be worth a try.
Viktoria.

Offline Link2Past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria - I've just tried Crockfords, but no success.  I think they must be somewhat patchy for Ireland records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Name?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Link2Past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

Rev Robert Hogg Faulkner, known as Bertie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Bertie Faulkner was ordained as a minister in the Church of Ireland. He may have been rector at Glendermott Parish Church (Altnagelvin) at some point.
Rev. Robert (Bertie) Hogg Faulkner was Rector of St Mary's Church of Ireland in the Parish of Camus-juxta-Bann at Macosquin in the Diocese of Derry and Raphoe from 1933 to 1946[4].

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Faulkner-3000

Macosquin Parish - http://www.camus-juxta-bann.org/record-of-rectors.html

Northern Whig (Belfast), 29 July 1933: Macosquin's New Rector. A service was held in Camus-Juxta-Bann (Macosquin) Parish Church, Coleraine, for the induction Rev. R. H. Faulkner, M.A.. who was recently appointed rector. Mr. Faulkner was introduced the Bishop of ...

Londonderry Sentinel, 10 Mar.1938: Rev. R. H. Faulkners M.A., and Mrs. Faulkner Honoured. Presentations by Congregation. Tributes to their Work in Parish. the four and a-half years of his ministry in Camus-Juxta-Bann Church, Macosquin, Rev. R. H. Faulkner, M.A., has effected a …

Suspect they left Macosquin in 1945-
Mid-Ulster Mail (Cookstown), 1 Dec.1945: … officer of Macosquin Company of the Home Guard and became Battalion chaplain. Mrs. Faulkner has taken her share of both parochial and social work. She leaves behind a flourishing branch of the Mothers' Union. During the war years she was Macosquin area organi.. 

Irish Times (Dublin), 7 Jan.1966: CANON R. H. FAULKNER The death took place suddenly yesterday in Altnagelvin hospital, Derry of Canon Robert Henry Faulkner. M.A.. rector of Kilcronaghan parish church. Tobermore. Co. Derry for more than 20 years. He was aged 66. Born in Derry...

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Crockford's for 1959-60, which has pretty full coverage of Anglican clergy all over the world - including your man. This is his entry (some abbreviations expanded):

Trinity College Dublin, BA 1922, MA 1934. Ordained deacon 1922, priest 1924 by the Bishop of Down. Curate of St Mary Belfast 1922-28; Rector of Craighurst, Ontario 1928-29; of Bovevagh 1929-30; Clondevaddock 1930-33; Camus-juxta-Bann 1933-46; Kilcronaghan, Diocese of Derry from 1946.

As you can see, this confirms a lot of what aghadowey has found.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Mid-Ulster Mail (Cookstown). 24 Nov.1951: … Bro. Rev. R. H. Faulkner. M.A.. Tobermore ...

Londonderry Sentinel, 17 Nov.1945: … appointed Rev. R. H. Faulkner, M.A., curate-in-charge of Camus-juxta-Bann, Macosquin, Coleraine, to he curate-in-charge of Kilcronaghan, Toberimore, County Londonderry, in _ of Rev. J. R. Kelly, B.A., resigned. Rev. Mr. Faulkner was ordained in 1922...