Author Topic: What game is this and where? Grandfather Simpkin  (Read 3098 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What game is this and where? Grandfather Simpkin
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 November 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Good job I wasn't actually drinking my glass of wine at the time - Morris dancers on roller skates  ;D  I must put forward the idea when I next visit Saltburn Folk Festival  :D :D

Sorry - seriously - perhaps the location of Grandfather Simpkin might give us a "genuine" clue.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 November 18 17:50 GMT (UK) »
My husband did suggest a Morris dancers roller derby, could catch on!
As far as I know Grandpa Simpkin was a Londoner, will see if I can find out more.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 November 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
How about Archery without the targets, just the easels?
-Whoops, couldn't be "Knurr and Spell" could it? On tiny tricycles?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 November 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
The waistcoats look to be leather? And fleece-lined?
Or just inside-out fleece ;D

And the frame does look to be like a goal - the inside of each side looks to be perpendicular, but with a slanting piece of wood outside.
Sort of like:
  __
/|   |\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Just a suggestion, has anyone tried finding out more about Roller Polo. It is said to have originated in the UK.

What is the assumed dating ? Pre or post, WWI ?

Quite a substantial grand stand, presumably normally used for a more established sport ?

Had a quick look but have not found similar "skates" on-line.  Only the patented contraption, I have seen before, where weight is transferred from one leg to the other, to ratchet the wheels forward.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I've found out a bit more on Fred Simpkin, he was born in 1894 and lived and worked in the London docks for Harland &Wolff.

Have also found some skates from the 1920's which look very similar, so I would guess the photo to be late 1920's.

Any old photos of roller polo or hockey have all had sticks more like a standard hockey stick.

There does seem to be quite a crowd watching, wonder if it was a company sports day?

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
This does appear to be a real mystery. I have tried to find a sport that fits the photo but I can't find anything, it is the sticks which are a mystery as you say.
I have found images of similar skates from 1898 so it seems they were used for quite a period of time but as you say the 1920s would seem to be right for this photo.
I will keep looking. ::)
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 15:41 GMT (UK) »
They do look more like cudgels than bats, so perhaps Morris dancing on skates isn't a bad suggestion, as a novelty item at an agricultural show perhaps?

Alternatively, it could be a late revival of single stick fighting which had pretty much died out by the 1920s - again, in a humorous roller-skate version.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Those sticks would not be much use for hitting anything like a ball, unless they were for maybe collecting hoops on?
I too wonder was it for a comedy display of some sort, a la ice skating on grass. The skates wouldn't be much use on the grass either. Quite a mystery.

Could a local librarian's association help by forwarding on the photo? I don't suppose they would have gone very far out of London on holidays in those days.

Always worth a chance sending it to something like 'The One Show'. They might do a feature on funny old sports/photos.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344