Author Topic: British soldiers stationed India 1882  (Read 562 times)

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British soldiers stationed India 1882
« on: Saturday 03 November 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
In my family tree, I have a family where the first few siblings were born in Warwickshire, then a middle child (Edwin Faithorn) born in Meerut, Bengal, India and then the last few siblings being born in Liverpool. I do know that the father (William Faithorn) was a soldier. Anyone know why he would have been stationed in Bengal in 1882 when Edwin was born? Any would all the family have gone with them? Thanks.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British soldiers stationed India 1882
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Following the Indian Mutiny (or The First Indian War of Independence) of 1857, and the ending of the British East India Company's rule in India, the British Government took over.

The British Army gradually replaced units of the old Bengal Army. The post-rebellion changes formed the basis of the military organisation of British India until the early 20th century.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
By way of illustration, the link below shows the major units of the British Army stationed in India in December 1882.  It was by then the norm that, for example, most infantry regiments would have three battalions, two regular, one in India and one in UK swapping over every now and again and a militia battalion at home.  Then there were artillery, cavalry, engineers and so on making a large propotion of the army.  This was when the Empire could be said to have been at its height and the army was there to protect British interests in that part of the world and beyond.

https://usacac.army.mil/cac2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/882LAC.pdf

A number of men in a regiment could, with permission, take their families with them.

Edwin doesn't seem to appear in the British Army overseas births (there is one in 1896 but pbviously not yours).

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 November 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Edwin doesn't seem to appear in the British Army overseas births (there is one in 1896 but pbviously not yours).

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803018.msg6610432#msg6610432 reply #14 for his baptism
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear another duplicate thread but it does confirm the regiment!

The very first entry on the Nafziger list is 1st The Kings Dragoon Guards.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia