Author Topic: ancestry family tree  (Read 1266 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ancestry family tree
« on: Sunday 04 November 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
hi there
can anyone help me, i ve got a family tree on ancestry called "allen-hooligan" its public, when i put in certain ancester names it looks like madness ??
if anyones bored and has time to look if you go to my tree and put in dorothy tickner born 1686-1728 its just a mad jumble, theres people all overlapping each other and lines connecting people from one side of the page to another ??, theres also people down twice and it wont let me merge them, as it says they re the same person, i ve gone through loads of them making sure they ve got the right mother and father down through the edit relatives button top right of each profile page and they all look right
in my tree i know that cousins have married and theres alot of same name ancesters and a few have been married a couple of times etc, but i ve checked who i have down as the parents and the ones i ve looked at are right
in the early days i had made mistakes, even though it does nt show it, when i went on the edit relatives i d see that i had 2 different mothers down for same person etc
sorry to go on, but if you put the lady mentioned earlier in itmay make sense to some clever person on here
thanks for reading, cathie :)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry family tree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 November 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathieee, Ancestry does it to me as well. Especially when there is more than one spouse. There are no duplicate people, but they have been displayed in different places according to their different relationships.

It makes it more manageable to view it on a computer screen. Otherwise, you would spend all your time scrolling sideways, just to look at the previous generation.

I have a cousin who has managed to bury three husbands and is now living with a male friend. Because of that my uncle and aunt appear four times.

If you buy Family Tree Maker and link to Ancestry and use the print feature, you will get an extremely wide tree - mine is 82 pages wide in landscape.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
hi, oh thank goodness its not  just me and i am using the old fashioned big screen computer, could nt be bothered on a tichy screen lol, its just mad because when the said lady dorothy s the head ancester that i ve put in william abbott has 2 lines running above him, one to his father  adam abbott and dorothy tickner and one to adam abbott and mary wastell, mary is his mother not dorothy and when i check his parents on the edit relations button it only has his mother down as mary so dont know why the line to dorothy and adam is there, so confusing lol

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 November 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
It's not just you!

Ancestry family tree couldn't cope with my tree:
Joan (my grandmother 1905-1970) was the mother of Jeremy (my father 1929-71)
1942 Joan married Winston
1956 Jeremy married my mum
c1965 Jeremy and my mum divorced
1967 Jeremy married Angela
1970 Joan died
1971 Jeremy died
1972 Winston married Angela
To add to the confusion, Jeremy was the second of my mum's three husbands!
(all people named are deceased)

I can work out how (and in how many different ways) I am connected to Winston and Angela, but I couldn't get Ancestry to display a meaningful tree so I gave up.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
When I get those crazy lines and duplicate names in Ancestry I can just look at the profile of one person who is out of sorts and then click to view the tree.  The lines are gone and things appear back in order.  Hope that helps.   :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 November 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
oh good grief and i thought mine complicated lol

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
hi, yes i can do that too, but still dont understand why people are down twice in the same line, but it wont let you merge them, for example i have a john tickner born 1676 on his own, then further down the same strand of siblings john ticker born 1676 but partner judith long, which is right, but why the other same john 1767 without judith and it wont let me merge merge them, but if i click on the lone john tickner and go on his prof page it has judith there as his wife, makes no sense ??

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
It is a quirk of Ancestry. There is only one entry for that person in your tree so there is no duplicate to merge.
It's annoying but there is nothing you can do about it except try following uksearch4753's trick.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 November 18 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I have just the same problem in my tree too! It looks like a complete dogs dinner with lines going all over the place and people duplicated... yet not duplicated, so I gave up and when I do just as uksearch4753 does it comes out fine.
The confusion comes with my gt grandparents as they were cousins and they seem to pop up all over the place...
Don't worry though you're not going bonkers cathiee it's just the foibles of Ancestry!

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK