Author Topic: Sarah FOULKS born c1814 Hope, Flintshire  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah FOULKS born c1814 Hope, Flintshire
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 November 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I subscribe to Findmypast and the searching method does not enable me to search the 1851 census independently (or I've not worked this out).

you can search an individual census year on FindMyPast by selecting it from the A-Z list:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/historical-records?page=1&region=united%20kingdom&searchedrecordsetname=

or entering it in the Record set box in:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-census-land-and-surveys/and_census

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 November 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget for your help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 November 18 12:48 GMT (UK) »
If you need any help using FindMyPast, just ask. There are many of us who use it.

It's definitely superior to Ancestry for Welsh records, if you can't get to local archives. The Welsh collection does have weaknesses but are a tremendous resource for those of us at a  distance. Previously, I had to rely on the Clwyd FHS resources (I have a tall bookcase full of their booklets!), a few cousins  or trips to Wales.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 November 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Another after of not getting anywhere I've decided to move on a generation.

I looked closely at Sarah's children, in particular Eliza Evans : census's give birth place Hope, Flintshire.

Willium b.1835, Mary Ann b. 1836, Robert b.1841, (Eliza b.1845), Sarah b.1849, Thomas b.1851

Eliza is living at home with her family in Hope on 1861 census.
1867 Eliza marries Evan Evans
1871 she is with Evan and children Anne b.1868 and Sarah b.1871
1881 she is with Evans and 4 more children : John b.1873, Williams, b.1876, Thomas b.1878 and Hannah b.1881.
1891 she with Evan with John, William, Thomas, and 3 more kids : Oswell b.1883, Lydia b.1886 and Matthew H b. 1889.

The 1861 census is the only indication of Eliza's parents
It says father John Edwards Head, married, male 50 (1811) labourer birth place Hope, Flintshire.
It says mother Sarah Edwards Wife, married, female 47 (1814) birth place Hope, Flintshire. 
The family are living in Cymmau, Hope, Wrexham, Flintshire, Wales.

The baptism of Eliza on 6 July 1845 by John and Sarah took place in Hope, Flintshire, and states that the family were living in Cymmau.

I can find a marriage of a John Edwards of Hope to a Sarah Foulks of Hope at Hope church on 31 January 1835.

1881 census gives John and Sarah Edwards living at Cymmau Mountain, Hope (Flint), Chester, Flintshire. All children have left.

I am confident with that all this information is correct and it leads to think that the family remained in the same area for the majority of their lives. Getting beyond is proving very difficult.

I have searched for baptisms for Sarah Foulk(e)s around 1815 but there are none in/around Hope. I can find one at Minera 26 Nov 1815 (parents John and Catherine) but Minera is in Denbighshire and some distance from Hope with no obvious link. There is another baptism of a Sarah to a John Foulkes and his wife Catherine (formerly Jones).

I can find a marriage n Wrexham of a John Foulkes to Catharine Williams (they were residing in Minera Township) but no connection to Hope, Flintshire.

All random bits of information that I don't feel happy about adding to my tree.
If anyone has any suggestions I would be so pleased.  Otherwise this search is definitely ending soon.     :(   

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 November 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Minera some distance away? It's the neighbouring parish to Hope. Did you look at the parish map I posted earlier? The 1851 shows the family in the recently created parish of Llanfynydd which according to Genuki is 3 miles from Minera.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/gazetteer/nearby?place=FLNLlanfynydd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfynydd,_Flintshire
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb