Author Topic: David McLean/Elizabeth Johanna McLean (nee May) emigration to New Zealand c.1907  (Read 2033 times)

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
By paternal bloodlines David McLean and Elizabeth Johanna McLean (nee May) are my Grandparents - they were married at St Paul's Church in the Parish of Whitechapel, in the County of Middlesex, London, on 13 August, 1905...

David and Elizabeth emigrated to New Zealand, I understand arriving in Lyttelton late 1907 or early 1908 where David was subsequently employed as a Diver by the Lyttelton Harbour Board - my advice from a Family source is that Elizabeth was pregnant whilst on board ship with May Evelyn born 1908 following their arrival in New Zealand; subsequent children were John David (born 1909), my Father Alan (born 1911) and Robert (born 1914), all of whom are by now deceased...

What is as yet undiscovered by me is the name of the Ship that David and Elizabeth Johanna McLean sailed to New Zealand on, and any information accordingly or guidance otherwise as to where I might search would be very much appreciated...           

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David McLean/Elizabeth Johanna McLean (nee May) emigration to New Zealand c.1907
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 November 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?facetType=ON&query=%2Bgivenname%3ADavid%7E%20%2Bsurname%3AMcLean%7E%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22New%20Zealand%22&count=20&collection_id=1609792

Although I have to say, they are not immediately obvious.

Incase the link doesn’t take you right there it’s this section on Family Search

New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David McLean/Elizabeth Johanna McLean (nee May) emigration to New Zealand c.1907
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
What was David's middle name?  Alexander perhaps? http://www.rootschat.com/links/01myx/

...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
What was David's date of birth?

Cheers Janette

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Greetings McKha489 and Twiggy Tree

Many thanks for your kind prompt responses to my enquiry, which alas still seems to remain...

I was aware of the 18 December 1907 arrival of SS Fifeshire in Lyttelton which date seemingly fits my scenario perfectly, but in the absence of Elizabeth Johanna on the Passenger list and the fact that I do not believe that David had a brother James McLean also listed, I wondered...

Perhaps the Arbitration information provided by Twiggy Tree in part reading "...James McLean and David Alexander McLean, farmers, Cairnbrae..." confirms it was they who were the passengers on the Fifeshire rather than David McLean and his wife Elizabeth Johanna...

The Birth Registration record of David McLean in Sixmilecross, Omagh , County Tyrone gives no middle name, and David McLean was employed as a Diver by the Lyttelton Harbour Board...

My search therefore would seem to be ongoing, but your kind assistance is much appreciated...

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Janette

David was born 20 January, 1878 in the District of Sixmilecross, in the Union of Omagh, in the County of Tyrone...

Regards

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Not all the passenger lists are indexed on FamilySearch approx 53 ships arrived in Lyttleton in 1907

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=MP7K-LLJ%3A119115301%2C119029402%3Fcc%3D1609792

You would need to go through all of them

Cheers Janette

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janette - I shall work my way through the respective Ships/Passenger Lists - your kindness by way of reply much appreciated...

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 November 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't help with the passenger's arrival but might be relevant to you somehow...

Elizabeth Johanna McLean in the electoral roll 1954-1969
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01myy/

Her death at Births, Deaths and Marriages Historical Records website.
1975/44604   McLean   Elizabeth Johanna   6 September 1884
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM