Author Topic: Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea ( nee Vallance) and Miriam Lois Barker (nee Vallance)  (Read 4790 times)

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea ( nee Vallance) and Miriam Lois Barker (nee Vallance)
« Reply #36 on: Monday 05 November 18 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Following on from the above obituary [reply#35]:

Her parents' marriage:

1879/2431   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Catley   Nicholas   O'Shea

Their children:

1881/3153   O'Shea   Marie Edith Constance   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas   -   

1882/6510   O'Shea   Mary Catherine Helena   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas      
1885/18405   O'Shea   James Nicholas   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas
1884/1982   O'Shea   Mary Agatha Aileen   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas

[Michael not found.]

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea ( nee Vallance) and Miriam Lois Barker (nee Vallance)
« Reply #37 on: Monday 05 November 18 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Greetings CaroleW, Mckha489, kiwihalfpint and minniehaha...

I am overwhelmed by your collective generosity in the kindness of informing me with the torrent and diversity of information you have provided subsequent to my enquiry...

The James/Mary Eliza O'Shea duo certainly lead a 'colourful' existence did they not with the various locations of Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Argentina then seemingly again South Africa in their individual/together life histories - I was aware of James O'Shea as having been "...late merchant at Algoa Bay...' from the Wellington Independant issue 2641 27 January 1868 notice of his marriage to Mary Eliza Dunscombe Vallance - their post nuptial activities sure make interesting reading - I will likely make further enquiry through the South Africa forum in respect of that family lineage...

The 'Family' burials in Hillsborough Cemetery I was aware of but for the additional Newspaper notices and the like I express my gratitude...

My ancestral lineage is through Miriam Lois Barker (nee Vallance) whose husband Charles Joseph Barker was the son of the Reverend Joseph Barker, who amongst other postings was Rector and Vicar of Achill (1852 - 1872), and involved with the Achill Mission Colony on Achill Island, County Mayo, Ireland, succeeding the founder of the Colony the Revd. Edward Nangle prior to and including the years of the Great Famine - t'was then surely an interesting Social/Religious/Political time in Ireland's more recent History, and the Achill Mission Colony was at the forefront of the confrontation of Catholicism with the prevailing Irish Protestant Church which was disestablished by the Irish Church Act 1869 - I only recently began delving in to my Ancestral Family History and am much enjoying not only becoming aware accordingly but learning much about the 'times of their lives'; the further enlightenment you kind persons have given is affording me such immense and privileged benefit...

Additional information which may come my way likewise will serve as further enhancement accordingly...

Kind Regards                   

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 05 November 18 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Following on from the above obituary [reply#35]:

Her parents' marriage:

1879/2431   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Catley   Nicholas   O'Shea

Their children:

1881/3153   O'Shea   Marie Edith Constance   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas   -   

1882/6510   O'Shea   Mary Catherine Helena   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas      
1885/18405   O'Shea   James Nicholas   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas
1884/1982   O'Shea   Mary Agatha Aileen   Mary Gertrude Ruth   Nicholas

[Michael not found.]

Minniehaha.

Was Nicholas perhaps a son of James by a previous wife and born in SA?  I don't see him in NZ Births and his marriage is only 11 years after the marriage of James and Mary Eliza D

Added, funeral of Nicholas O'Shea 1885

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18850926.2.38.3?end_date=1949-12-31&items_per_page=10&phrase=2&query=nicholas+o%27shea&sort_by=byDA&start_date=1865-01-01

BDMs confirm he was 28

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Arrival of Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea (nee Vallance) in New Zealand
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 25 November 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Greetings once again CaroleW, Mckha489, kiwihalfpint, minniehaha...

If you continue chipping away some times great reward is to be had - this morning a 'breakthrough' in regards the arrival in New Zealand of the then Mary Eliza Dunscomb Vallance...

"The Sebastopol was a fine clipper ship that made two voyages from London, England to Lyttelton, New Zealand loaded with immigrants for the Provincial Government. From Chinese passengers staging a mutiny, to the suicide of a ship's surgeon, the Sebastopol has an interesting past. Extensive research has uncovered the ship's final demise after leaving New Zealand in 1863, which ended its short career. This is the first time the full story of the Sebastopol has been told, with the most accurate passenger lists available for the Sebastopol journeys." - so reads a synopsis for the book titled 'The Clipper Ship Sebastopol - New Zealand Immigration Ship, 1861-1863' written by Belinda Lansley in 2012...

The first voyage departed London 2 September, 1861, and arrived Lyttelton 14 December, 1861 - the second voyage departed London 10 January, 1863, and arrived Lyttelton 21 May, 1863, "Under Captain Taylor"...

Mary Eliza Vallance sailed on the second voyage, thus arriving in Lyttelton on 21 May, 1863 - on the Sebastopol January, 1863 Passenger List - 'Single Women', Mary E Vallance is listed at age 31 years as being 'Matron to Ship', and thus had free passage...

The Sebastopol departure date having been 10 January, 1863, is prior to the death of her Father William Vallance on 23 April, 1863...

Miriam Lois Vallance is not listed on the Passenger List so must have sailed to New Zealand at a later time - the search for that information is ongoing...

Regards to All         

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 26 November 18 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations!

How did you come to find that?

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Arrival of Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea (nee Vallance) in New Zealand
« Reply #43 on: Monday 26 November 18 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Mckha489

Discovered by pure chance, or perhaps rather because I am now very much better informed through the generosity of you kind folk, previously I had not thought to research Mary Eliza Dunscomb Vallance so thoroughly given my essential focus was on her younger sister Miriam Lois Vallance (my Great Grandmother)...

Miriam Lois Vallance married into quite a 'colourful' Family when considering Charles Joseph Barker's Father the Revd. Joseph Barker had been involved with the 'infamous & controversial' Achill Mission Colony established on Achill Island, County Mayo, Ireland by Revd. Edward Nangle in 1833; albeit the Revd. Joseph Barker's involvement was in the duration 1852-1879 after the 'Great Famine Years' 1845 to 1849, with implicit allegations of 'Souperism' and the over riding intent of converting those of the Catholic upbringing to the Protestant persuasion, being the essential raison d'etre of the Colony...

On that subject, should one be interested I can highly recommend a recent book 'The Preacher and the Prelate - The Achill Mission Colony and the Battle for Souls in Famine Ireland' written by Patricia Byrne...

However I must say I rather enjoyed the shared 'escapades' of Mr & Mrs James & Miriam Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea the more I became aware of same through what I learnt subsequent to posting my enquiry - the full circle James O'Shea travelled from South Africa via New Zealand, Argentina and back to Port Elizabeth a most intriguing tale I found, with many an occasional incident along the way...

The key to my discovery of this morning was 'New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973' 'Mary E Vallance' Events 'immigration: 21 May, 1863, Canterbury, New Zealand...' which informed me of her 21 May, 1863 arrival on the Sebastopol - my curiousity and the marvel of the internet lead me to the information about the book I made reference to...

Apart from a new awareness of the specifics relating to 'Ancestral Family', I am finding immense pleasure and reward in progressing such knowledge by further researching the locations, times and other detail pertinent to those related folk who have gone before me...

Regards   

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival of Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea (nee Vallance) in New Zealand
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:19 GMT (UK) »

Miriam Lois Vallance is not listed on the Passenger List so must have sailed to New Zealand at a later time - the search for that information is ongoing...

Hello bastawolfie

I haven't read through this thread very thoroughly, but it seems from above comment that you are still seeking travel information for Miriam VALLANCE ?  ;)

She arrived firstly in Australia - in December 1873 - (as an immigrant to that country - that being the reason she does not appear on the New Zealand Immigration passenger lists. )

Ship:  "Great Britain"
Arrived :  Victoria, Australia
Date:  December 1873
Passenger:   Miss M. L. VALLANCE

I'll see what other information (if any) is to be had for the "Great Britain" voyage 1873.

~  Lu