Author Topic: Charles Stewart born 1754, Dull, Perthshire  (Read 1460 times)

Offline lgray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Stewart born 1754, Dull, Perthshire
« on: Monday 05 November 18 03:15 GMT (UK) »
I’m looking for help with my Stewart line.  I have traced them back to Perthshire.  Right now I have Charles Stewart (b. 1754 d.???) married to Ann Nicolson in Aberfeldy Parish of Dull Oct. 1780.  His son, Donald (b.1784 d. 1875) ended up in Prince Edward Island, Canada in the early 1800’s but I’m not sure of the year.  Charles’ parents are listed as Alexander Stewart (b. 1728) and Cathrin McEwen (b.1732).  Alexander’s parents are listed as John Stewart and Katherine Picken married 1725.  I would like to have better proof than I do – other sources – if anyone has this.  Also from there I seem to be stuck.  One source has John born in 1692 ( I think this is the wrong John Stewart but not sure) and the other 1701 (probably the right one).  I’ve also seen a Jane Alexander married to John Stewart.  Any help with the spouses's names would also be greatly appreciated.

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Stewart born 1754, Dull, Perthshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Picken is an unusual name for this area of Perthshire, or is this a mistake for McBhean? marriage in Dull parish 20 July 1725.  What is the source?

Throth

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
     Scotlandspeople OPR Marriage Index. John Stewart and Katharin Picken at Campbeltown, Argyll on 11th Feb. 1725. Also, Alexander Stewart and Katrine McEwen on 14th Jan. 1749 at Kenmore, Perthshire.
     Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, we can see the marriage in Kenmore and children Margaret, Charles, Ann (twice), Charlot and John.  But how does this connect to Campbeltown, Argyll?

Do you know which part of Dull is mentioned with the above births?  Dull is a very split up parish.

Throth

Offline lgray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 November 18 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  All that I have is that Charles was born in Dull but I do have his Christening place as Middleslicky.  I have Alexander born in County Carlow Irlande (not sure about this) and Christened in Dull, though another source says Campbeltown, Argyll.  Donald born in Aberfeldy and Christened the same.  I do have Cathrin McEwen being from Middleslicky but that came from a cousin now deceased - so no source.  I do have Kathrine Picken born in Argyll Scotland - this from the Millennium File.  It has her birth year different than others by 5 years.  The Family Source has listed she and John Stewart were married 11 February 1725 Campbeltown, Argyll and Bute, Scotland.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
     John Stewart and Katharin Picken, married 11th Feb. 1725 at Campbeltown. [OPR Marriages 507/ 10 91 Campbeltown] & [507/ 11 436 Campbeltown]. OPR Birth Index - ScotlandsPeople. Alexander Stewart born/baptised 18th Dec. 1728 at Campbeltown. Parents: John Stewart and Kathrine Picken. [OPR Births 507/ 10 133 Campbeltown].
     Sorry, if you have no proof this is the right Alexander, then an Argyll birth does seem unlikely.
     Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."