Author Topic: William KIRKER  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: William KIRKER
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »

Use this to find KIRKERS. Note the names.....including REA.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Then use BDM NZ   https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search

To see the same KIRKER - REA names

I don’t think there is a connection, as Marcella died in 1873 and John remarried the following year. Only two children born to John and Marcella and the daughter died in infancy.

It would be interesting to find John, Annie and son John Alexander in NZ.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
The VIC Kirker’s deaths in QLD:

1911   B14204 John Kirker parents John Kirker and Jane McClenehan   

1915   B21018 John Alexander Kirker parents John Kirker and Margaret Marcella Rea

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Nice to see some Kirker's finally showing up on the Vic BDM, last time I looked there were none (though that was awhile ago).

There are some Rea's Kirkers in the NZ BDM but as far as I know they are not related to my William Kirker.

When I first started trying to trace this family I wrote to every single Kirker in New Zealand.  Quite a few replied back and it seems there are 2 separate Kirker families in NZ.  One is quite well to do and many of them are Doctors,Lawyers, Artists.  The other Kirker family (mine) is the other branch.  We did discuss a possible connection but if there is one it goes back to before NZ and this family's NZ ancestor was definitely not a brother or a cousin of William.  (pity).

I will keep searching both through the NZ and Australian ends to see if anything turns up and maybe even go back to all the places I contacted before to see if there is any new information.  Looks like I'll be sending lots of emails to all the Australian records offices and historical societies again :) 

I have also been thinking about writing to every Kirker in Australia - maybe one of them will know something.

Looks like the Ireland thing is probably a dead end then at the moment.  Would have been nice to have traced William Kirker (senior) and Mary Brown to see where they ended up and if they really were his parents.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Looks like I am for now back to square one and starting all over again.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 November 18 06:10 GMT (UK) »
No Kirker's or Watt's as witnesses on the William's marriage which doesn't surprise me.

Back to square one.  Pondering as to whether to contact all the historical societies in Victoria again and asking them to check again for William Kirker or any other Kirker's for the time period 1835-1870 but not sure if they will be willing to check again.

Has anyone else ever gone to a source to double check something?

For now the brick wall remains...
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 November 18 10:36 GMT (UK) »
a bit strange
William Kirker only appears once for a marriage in 1846

yet there are two matches Mary Brown and Mary Anne Wilson
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mz1/

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGFG-2LZ

There are four marriages on that page - DONNERY/GREY, COATES/SHAW, KIRKER/WILSON, and Mary BROWN married Samuel McNAUGHTON.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 November 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration did not start in Victoria until 1853 so you will not find a birth certificate for anyone born prior to that.  Indexed events before 1853 are from church records of baptisms, marriages and burials so you would be relying on those events being recorded, surviving, and included in the indexing.

Debra  :)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 10 November 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else ever gone to a source to double check something?

They say do everything again.
From what I can see of him, William Kirker appears to have been a bit of a character. Could he have changed his name?
The earliest possible sighting of him?
In the newspapers, and going on that obit, there is William Kirker and the Cromwell Hospital affair, which was in 1875. A row about an admission ticket.
Cromwell Argus
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CROMARG18750908.2.12

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CROMARG18750908.2.7

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CROMARG18750915.2.14.1

Not sure if there are any records back that far for the hospital.
Prior to that he is supposed to have been in New Zealand for a period and then gone back home to Victoria, but you haven't found anything on that?
John

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 November 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra :)

Damn looks like that William Kirker/Mary Brown lead is a bust then.

Yeah I thought his possible birth was too early for the civil records - local churches etc will be the place to check.  I'll see if I can find a list of them or if there is a place where those early births etc are stored.

Thanks John

Yes he does seem a bit of a character

Starting to think he lied about just about everything.  And yes it had occured to me that maybe he had lied even about his name.  Criminal on the run?  Leaving behind another wife and family somewhere?

Ooo I hadn't seen those paperspast articles before.  Going to read them now.  Seems like he got in trouble a few times going by some other news article I found awhile ago.

Thanks everyone again for all the help.  Our ancestors certainly don't make it easy to track them down