Author Topic: Robert Watson and Margaret Chalmers  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Vncrowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Watson and Margaret Chalmers
« on: Monday 05 November 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Can not find a marriage record for Robert Watson and Margaret Chalmers, who had a daughter, Elspet Watson, 1787-1788 in Belhelvie. Elspet married John Christie in 1809. Any help with finding relevant info will be very much appreciated. Thankyou.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Watson and Margaret Chalmers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I note that they had a second daughter, Elizabeth Watson, 04/05/1790, at Belhelvie.

Malky

Offline Vncrowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou. Seems there were another few children after Elizabeth too. Maybe the marriage record for Robert Watson and Margaret Chalmers is not around anymore for some reason. A real mystery couple.

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Don`t know if this is relevant : my gt gt grandfather Joseph Watson c.1810 - 1896 was born in Aberdeen. can find no record of his birth. But in his will, written 1893 in London, he left a bequest to his "half brother James Christie of Montrose". James was born about 1820 in Aberdeen and died in Montrose a few months before Joseph Watson. The informant on James`s death did not know the name of the mother. There was also a bequest to Janet Aikin of Woodside, Aberdeen, grand daughter of Mrs Robbie.
Does any of this ring a bell?
Jackie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 December 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone looked at the death certificate of Elspet Watson, other name Christie, mother's name Chalmers, who died in Newhills in 1869 aged 85? Who registered the death?

What was the name of James Christie's father?

Did James Christie marry, and if so whom, when and where?

Did Joseph Watson marry, and if so whom, when and where?

Have you been able to trace Joseph Watson and James Christie in the censuses?

Was Janet Aikin the Janet Aiken allegedly bon on 4 May 1871 at Woodside, parents William Aiken and Janet Robbie? ("allegedly" because this birth is in the 'community contributed' IGI but not in the 'community indexed'). There is a family in Old Machar in 1881 consisting of William Aiken, 48, stone dresser, born Newhills; Ann Aiken, wife 47; William Aiken, son, 12 and Janet Aiken, 9, daughter. Janet Robbie and William Aiken were married in 1861 in Aberdeen. Has anyone seen that marriage certificate? Janet Aiken or Robbie died in Aberdeen in 1879 aged 49. Has anyone seen that death certificate? Is she the Janet Robbie, daughter of Alexander Robbie and Janet Watson, baptised 21 September 1830 in Old Machar?

Janet Watson, other surname Robbie, died in Woodside in 1891 aged 80. Has anyone seen that death certificate? Who were her parents?

I wonder if Joseph Watson was Elspet's illegitimate son, in which case he must have been born before 1809, when Elspet married John Christie.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the pointers, Forfarian.
I posted without checking my old research as I am stuck on this. I have now checked my notes and James Christie`s father was, according to his death cert on which his son did not know his mother`s name, George Christie, a store keeper. James is always in Montrose on the censuses. He married Helen Scott there.
Janet Robbie nee Watson is I believe grandmother of Janet Aitken, her death cert gives her parents as Thomas Watson, lab and Janet Watson, nee Watson as her parents.
Joseph Watson was in London before his marriage to Mary Ann Steel  early 1830`s. She was born Richmond, London but could perhaps have had Scottish ancestry??? In London on all censuses. They never used Janet as a name for children, but did use Walker and Macdonald as middle names.

Sorry should not  have posted on this thread, just hoped something rang a bell with the original poster. 
P.S. Have not been able to find George Christie on the census - Scotlands people is expensive if you do not already have most of the information.pps Or a George Christie marrying a Watson.

Thanks
Jackie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear :( It all looked as if it might tie up, but it doesn't.

I see that Joseph Watson and Mary Ann Steell were married in 1835, before the start of civil registration in England, so presumably the marriage record doesn't give Joseph's father's name and occupation?

And I don't see a marriage date for James Christie and Helen Scott, but some of their family were born in the 1840s so it must have been before 1855 when civil registration started in Scotland, so it wouldn't have been much help anyway.

For the early census try https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl - Aberdeenshire is well covered, but Angus is patchy. However it does include the following:

1851 Census: 9 Reform Street, Montrose
James Christie      Head Mar 31  Power loom starcher   Aberdeen
Helen Christie       Wife Mar 34  Glasgow
3 children
James Scott          Brother-in-law 16  Baker apprentice  Glasgow
Alexander Stewart  Cousin 20  Baker journeyman  Montrose

1841 Census: Market Street, Montrose
George Christie 40  Linen power loom weaver
Margaret Christie 35
James Christie 20  Linen power loom weaver
plus Christine, 15; John, 15; Margaret, 14; Andrew, 13; George, 11; David, 9; Alex, 7; William, 5.
Everyone born in Angus except James.

They match the family of George Christie and Margaret Cobb, who were married in Montrose in 1823 - which is after the birth of James.

1851 Census: 39 Market Street, Montrose
George Christie    Head Mar 52  Overseer power looms             Arbroath
Margaret Christie  Wife Mar 47                                               Montrose
plus Andrew, 21; George, 19; David, 17; William M, 13, Mary Ann, 8; and Robert, 6. All born Montrose.

There's more detail in FreeCEN than I have included here.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 December 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
George Christie, 62, is in the SP index to the 1861 census, plus Alex, 26; Ann, 26, Mary Ann, 18; Robert, 16; and George, 0. This is presumably the son of Alexander Christie and Ann Middleton (and who died in Montrose aged 7).

Margaret Christie, other name Cobb, mother's maiden name Thomson, died in Montrose in 1860, aged 58.

George Christie, aged 72, died in Montrose in 1870. It might be worth a look at his death certificate to see who his parents were. It could even have been James who registered the death.

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 December 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!
Thank you so much Forfarian.
I do use Freecen, but don`t know why I never noticed Aberdeenshire at the top of the list. I can think of lots of things I can look up there. Just assumed it covered England and Wales. Only.

Many thanks for finding George Christie - I had paid for that marriage to Margaret Robb but did not know whether I had the correct one. Just says both of this parish.

Thank you so much - going to SP now

Jackie