Author Topic: Arundale – Arandale - Arundel – Arundall – Arundell family / families  (Read 897 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Arundale – Arandale - Arundel – Arundall – Arundell family / families
« on: Monday 05 November 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Arundale – Arandale - Arundel – Arundall – Arundell  family

I have made an incorrect connection to a family tree I have been working on and am seeking to relocate the individual concerned to his correct parents, hopefully without the loss of all the related research.   

At the moment, I have the parents of Robert Head Arundale shown as Francis and Mary Ann Arundale, but I have since found that Robert’s parents were George and Harriet.  There is a possibility that Francis and George were brothers, and if so it would make the task of sorting the problem far easier.  Alternatively, if the Hanover Square parish workhouse was in Thomas Street (see Arundell entry in 1841 census) George may have come from humbler stock

My research so far has shown that the Arundales (whose surname has numerous variations) were well educated and had servants so I presume them to have been reasonably wealthy.  They moved between the better areas of Soho,  Hanover and Marylebone districts.  I also believe (but have yet to prove conclusively) that the parents of the siblings below (all born in the above areas between 1805 – 1820) were Stephen and Sarah (maiden name unknown) who I estimate had birth years in the mid 1780s.  Their proven children were
Stephen ‘Scott’ Arundale c 1805 married to Sarah Channing nee Atkinson ;
Francis Arundale c1807 married to Mary Ann nee Pickersgill Oct 11 1838;
And three daughters who became unmarried school mistresses
Sarah Arundale c1808; Elizabeth Arundale  c1814 and Mary Ann Arundale c1815

I am therefore trying to find out if these were also siblings of George Arandale / Arundel born c 1807, who married a Harriet Clarke on 3 Nov 1830, and died 1848. 
That couple became the parents of Frederick Arundell; Harriet Arundell; James William Arundell; Robert Head Arundell; Harriet Mary Arundell; Elizabeth Arundell and Frances Georgina Arundell
Harriet then married Joseph Short and is on the 1851 census with the younger Arundell children.

Any takers?

Roy G

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arundale – Arandale - Arundel – Arundall – Arundell family / families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
There is only one likely candidate for a George bc.1807:

George Arundale b.5/11/1807, bp.20/12/1807 St. Geo. Han. Sq., son of James and Susannah.

Siblings seem to be a George 1799-1801, George 1804-1807 (can't find burial), Jane 1797, Charles 1801 and Henry Thomas 1804 all baptised same place.

I note this is where 'your' George, a carpenter, is living in 1841.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arundale – Arandale - Arundel – Arundall – Arundell family / families
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting the ball rolling Annette.

I will follow your lead up, which will certainly be easier than when I first did this research back in 1990.  In those early days, the Internet was not available, you physically visited record offices and all communication with other interested parties was by snail mail.

Regards Roy G