Author Topic: How old was ancient?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How old was ancient?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
He could have been of an Ancient Yeoman family. A Yeoman was a free tenant, usually a prominent farmer. As he worked with his hands he could not be styled a Gentleman but his status was above that of most other copyhold tenants. He was qualified to serve on juries and vote in county elections.
The term Yeoman had no legal precision, but was used informally to distinguish a farmer who was more prosperous than the average husbandman. The wealth that was needed for a farmer to be judged a yeoman by his neighbours varied from region to region and over time. During the 18th. and 19th. centuries both yeoman and husband man were gradually abandoned in favour of farmer.

Stan

Returning to the question that was asked, and given the early date, I would suggest the best translation of 'ancient' might be 'former', so Former Yeoman or perhaps Retired Yeoman.  The word still has that meaning in French, l'ancien Maire de X, the former mayor of X.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Primrose11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 November 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't want to disagree about the possibility of it meaning "former" but I would think it more likely that it just means old, and possibly so old that no one knew his age, so he is recorded as ancient.
Primrose.
BATE
CHILWELL
DRURY
McCOLL

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 November 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Having read this thread I was thinking earlier today about the really elderly lady who was headmistress of my infant school.  She retired whilst I was still there, presumably at age 60.  And another woman named Mary who retired from work when I was still in my first job back in the 1970s - there was a staff photo and she definitely looks no spring chicken, but she was presumably 60 too.  I have more years under my belt now than they had then, as a member of the WASPI generation my pension is receding into the distance, and I definitely don't plan to get old any time soon.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON