Author Topic: How old was ancient?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How old was ancient?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 November 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
He could have been of an Ancient Yeoman family. A Yeoman was a free tenant, usually a prominent farmer. As he worked with his hands he could not be styled a Gentleman but his status was above that of most other copyhold tenants. He was qualified to serve on juries and vote in county elections.
The term Yeoman had no legal precision, but was used informally to distinguish a farmer who was more prosperous than the average husbandman. The wealth that was needed for a farmer to be judged a yeoman by his neighbours varied from region to region and over time. During the 18th. and 19th. centuries both yeoman and husband man were gradually abandoned in favour of farmer.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 November 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Could it be older than the " three score years and ten" my grandfather always quoted........ however I  asked a 5 yr old what ancient is and was told " more than 22".so there you are!  ;D
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 November 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,Rena and Stan,

That's what I wanted to get across.

Maureen

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 November 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
My sisters grand daughter was in the school Nativity Play.They had posted older kids around to guide folk into the hall.One little lad ...maybe  9 or so...was being ever so polite, and said “Excuse me, old lady, can I help you?”She must’ve been mid 50s.  LOL

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 November 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Your replies have made me chuckle.  ;D

The burial was dated 1641.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 November 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Depends on the point of view of the person who used the word ancient.

I remember when I was about 10 some new neighbours moved in across the lane from my house, I thought they were old though they were in their late 20s early 30s. Two sisters down the road were about 60 as they had just retired and I thought they were ancient. However few look old to me now and no one looks ancient.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 November 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Anyone watching the programme  ‘Old People’s Home for four year olds’ would have seen the little girl who thought 37 was old, so I guess anyone over 45 would be ancient. ;D ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Anyone watching the programme  ‘Old People’s Home for four year olds’ would have seen the little girl who thought 37 was old, so I guess anyone over 45 would be ancient. ;D ;D

Yes what a great programme and so beneficial for both ages taking part.
In the past families stayed and lived near or with each other, so both old/young benefitted, now families move, both parents work, children are sent to school and older people go into residential/communty care. I know it is a sign of the times but sad that all ages of the  families lose out on so much
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
That is so true,sadly there seem to be many more of the older generation who become confused.And women are out of the home more ,working, so there is no one to look after vulnerable elderly people,hence homes.
People say it is because many more are living to greater ages but there is another factor  which has been researched but the results have not been  widely circulated and that is the affects of statins on the brain.
Blanket prescribing means very many people are taking them.
My little G. grandson has a lot of attention and is as bright as can be yet when he comes to see me for a weekend it is books ,books ,books and jig saws and drawing.
He is just two years and six months,it is a special relationship and I treasure it.(Except he accidentally trod on my broken toe whilst clambering onto my knee.It was doing so well too ,but is inflamed again ( it will settle)

Two is a negative age and to deal with the little situations that arise positively is so much easier than head on confrontations.
He is very amenable and responds to positive suggestions.
I feel sure ,training apart it comes with old age and to see the residents with those tots is amazing.

It must be fun for the children and residents alike.

We used to go from school to our local elderly people’s residential home.
The children did the Nativity play for them,songs etc and full costumes,the home was literally across the road from school.
Oh the tears,not the children,but people who perhaps had no family left to visit them.It was heartbreaking.
Eventually someone in their wisdom decided the mixture of very old unwell people and young children was not a good one and vice versa.
So the visits were stopped.
Viktoria.