Author Topic: Coghlans in Chile?  (Read 4870 times)

Offline JennyMarieGradwell

• RootsChat Member
  • http://oneateleven.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Coghlans in Chile?
« on: Monday 05 November 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm currently searching through records that are new to me, and mostly not available via my full Ancestry membership. I'm looking at the Coghlans in Chile, from 1880s to present day (as well as links to Birmingham, Alabama much later on).

Details I have are:

Edward Stuart Coghlan (presume born Ireland, also lived in London, moved to Chile in 1880s).
m. Mary Chessman (whose family was English).

Their son was -> Martiniano Earl Harold Coghlan Chessman born 21 April 1902 in Santiago, Chile.
m. Olga Cerda born circa 1905 in Santiago (I think, struggling to find her).

Their son was -> Harold Cecil Coghlan Cerda, born 8 September 1931 in Santiago.

I'm trying to find more details of the Coghlans in Chile, as well as Edward Stuart before the move to Chile in the 1880s. I know Irish records around that time are pretty bad/non-existent  :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction for Chile records? I've found some via FamilySearch but now stuck and at the limit of my current knowledge/skills. I've also searched this forum and can't find anything relevant.

Thank you! :)

Jenny.
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coghlans in Chile?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm currently searching through records that are new to me, and mostly not available via my full Ancestry membership. I'm looking at the Coghlans in Chile, from 1880s to present day (as well as links to Birmingham, Alabama much later on).

Details I have are:

Edward Stuart Coghlan  (presume born Ireland, also lived in London, moved to Chile in 1880s).
m. Mary Chessman (whose family was English).

Their son was ->  ]Martiniano Earl Harold Coghlan Chessman  born 21 April 1902 in Santiago, Chile.
m. Olga Cerda born circa 1905 in Santiago (I think, struggling to find her).

Their son was -> Harold Cecil Coghlan Cerda , born 8 September 1931 in Santiago.

I'm trying to find more details of the Coghlans in Chile, as well as Edward Stuart before the move to Chile in the 1880s. I know Irish records around that time are pretty bad/non-existent  :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction for Chile records? I've found some via FamilySearch but now stuck and at the limit of my current knowledge/skills. I've also searched this forum and can't find anything relevant.

Thank you! :)

Jenny.

Utter rubbish!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the constructive comment, I guess?

http://www.myirishconnections.com/irishancestry.htm
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
That rubbish makes one give up before they start!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 November 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
In 1922, the Public Record Office in Dublin was burned and almost all of the Prerogative and Diocesan Wills, marriage records, census records and other classes of records of genealogical interest were destroyed or badly injured. Some valuable collections of records in the fireproof strongroom were saved. These included the Lodge Manuscripts, which consist of a series of volumes from the Patent Rolls of Henry VII, James I, Charles I and Charles II, abstracts of the Catholic Convert Rolls, being alphabetical lists of Catholics who renounced their church (usually temporarily) to avoid persecution, save their property, or to hold office, etc.

There are two lists of converts, c. 1703-1772, 1709-1773; and one list, 1662-1737, of Protestants who, upon coming to Ireland, took the Oath of Allegiance.

One of the most valuable collections acquired, which for the genealogist, repaired the loss of the Prerogative Wills, is the great collection of 241 volumes of the Betham Genealogical Abstracts.

After the fire, appeals were made throughout Ireland, England, Scotland, and America, for all who had copied the records during the past 53 years, to send their copies or transcripts, abstracts, or notes, to replace the burned records.

It was known that a large number of original records (wills, marriage records, parish registers, etc.) had never been sent to this office and these or copies were requested.

The appeals brought tremendous response. Legal (solicitors') offices, governmental, historical and genealogical repositories in Ireland and abroad sent original records, transcripts, abstracts, and notes from the burned records, as gifts or on loan for copying.

Genealogical collections representing the life work of great genealogists such as Betham, Crossle, Groves, Sadleir, etc., were given or sold to this office.

Individuals by the hundreds sent collections of family documents covering several generations.

Several hundred parish registers of baptism, marriage and burial, either original or transcripts, were in local custody at the time of the fire, and so were available.

The card index of testamentary documents is very extensive; it indexes many thousands of wills, duplicates and official plain copies of wills, grants of administrations, and original unproved wills never lodged for probate, which became too numerous after 1936 any longer to index in the Reports.

Without writing off the National Library you could check these "non-existing, burnt Wills" that exist, for example.

A lot of stuff is not online and even the gloom and doom of "The Fire" destroying everything and the "Boo Hoo" that ALL WILLS WERE BURNT WE ARE DOOMED that gets posted makes people not look for them!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Edward Stuart Coghlan (presume born Ireland, also lived in London, moved to Chile in 1880s).
m. Mary Chessman...

Born When?  Parents?

You are presuming Ireland....  Why?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I'm not sure what your point is, except to criticise me for not being able to travel to Ireland and look through the civil/parish records that exist in place of those destroyed by fire? Am I missing something?
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 November 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
No.

You know Irish records around that time are pretty bad/non-existent   from reading that garbage!!

There is an avalanche of records online, free, Civil Reg, R.C Church Registers and a lot more!

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 November 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Oooookay, I'm not sure what I did to offend you but this, indeed, escalated quickly.

Please feel free to ignore this thread if your only response is to be so critical. It's unnecessary. I'm genuine and asking for guidance. If you don't have it, that's fine, no problem.
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.