Author Topic: Lookup request: Redfearn baptisms in Middleton in Teesdale  (Read 908 times)

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request: Redfearn baptisms in Middleton in Teesdale
« on: Monday 05 November 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with a lookup for St Mary the Virgin in Middleton in Teesdale?
The earlier registers are not available online.  I am looking for any Redfearn baptisms that might have happened between 1740 and 1750.  I once had the films at my local Family History Library but didn't look that far back at the time.

The Redfearns in Teesdale were supposedly part of the group of families that came from the High Peak district in Derbyshire to work in the Langdon Beck Mine in 1758.  A Captain Josiah Wagstaff brought them. 
I am trying to establish if there were any earlier Redfearn baptisms in Teesdale.

I am directly descended from George Redfearn (born 1771, Langdon Lodge), younger son of Samuel Redfern and his wife Dorothy.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Sue

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request: Redfearn baptisms in Middleton in Teesdale
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I am too far away to get to Durham Records Office which is likely to be where the registers were deposited, sorry.

I tried Durham Records Online

Their listing says they have baptisms for St Mary the Virgin, Middleton in Teesdale with a date range of 1578 - 1901, with a note that:
There are no baptisms in the register for Oct 1587 to April 1617, June 1621 to Dec 1626, Jan 1630 to March 1633, and 1646-1652. No marriages 1635-1653, 1668-1670. Marriage witnesses not transcribed before 1813.

I searched for Redfearn (plus variants) baptisms, Teesdale District 1745 +/- 5 years and there are no results.

I then tried Redfe*,  baptisms, Teesdale District and didn't specify a time frame, there were lots of results but the earliest was a John Redfearn who was baptised in 1769, the family lived at Langdon Beck.

I can see your George in the list, plus a Lydia (1770) and a Joshua (1775) abode for all three was Lodge.

A free search will give you the name of who was baptised, the year they were baptised and the abode at the time of baptism. May be worth doing that and looking down the list to see if there are any 'likely' ones you are looking for - some may have been baptised a lot later than around their birth time - its a straw to clutch at anyway :-) Its a pay site but you can buy credits if you only want a few records and don't need a subscription.

Boo

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts Boo.
I suspect there just aren't any Redfearn baptisms earlier than 1761.

Sue

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Free Reg has a number of Redfearn/Redford baptisms at Middleton but the earliest is 1764.

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
 :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts Boo.
I suspect there just aren't any Redfearn baptisms earlier than 1761.

Sue

Just to check that they do actually have baptisms for the time frame I searched for John (they don't allow searches without anything in the name fields) , no surname, 1745 +/- 5 years and did get lots of results.
So it does seem fairly certain that there aren't any baptisms there for your folk prior to 1761.

Boo

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Genuki has useful transcripts of baptisms in Middleton in Teesdale 1753 -1841.They are  organised alphabetically.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline suepearce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William, yes, I have found these very useful.