Author Topic: Derby Druids/freemasons  (Read 603 times)

Offline rs2016

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derby Druids/freemasons
« on: Monday 05 November 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, apologies if this belongs in another section of the forum.
I have just come across a newspaper article in which I believe my great great grandfather is mentioned, it is from the Derbyshire advertiser October 1871.

The first sentence reads - "The anniversary dinner of the loyal rose of Sharon lodge no. 610 of the order of druids was held at the Talbot inn, irongate, (Derby) on Saturday evening last"

A Bro P.Stannard is mentioned in the article, i have done extensive research on my family around this period and there is only one p.stannard living in derby at this time but i have not come across any connection to druids or freemasons before.

I have had a good look online to try and find out more based on the details in the article but cannot find anything, if anyone has any advice on where i might be able to get more information i would be extremely grateful.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Derby Druids/freemasons
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
To the best of my knowledge there is no connection between freemasonry and druids in Derby or anywhere else.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
If you look in the Derby papers with Rose of Sharon as your search term there are lots of hits such as this one in 1842

Definitely Druids

Added.  Another article refers to it as also being a Friendly Society

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 November 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_Druids

However, discontent was rising in the Order. Ever since its inception, its members had come from a variety of different social backgrounds, and many of the poorer members, particularly in the newly industrial towns in the English Midlands, wanted it to act more like the benefit clubs and friendly societies such as the Oddfellows, the Foresters and the Shepherds, which were then rising in popularity. These benefit clubs collected membership fees into a central fund that they used to care for members who were too ill to work, or unable to pay for their funerals. In particular, these dissenting voices wanted to cease sending a percentage of their funds to the Grand Lodge (formerly Lodge No. 1), and to introduce more democratic reforms within the movement, so that the Archdruids of each lodge had a larger say over the movement. In the first years of the 1830s, a group of lodges decided to found an elected United Provisional Committee, but in retaliation the Grand Lodge and its allies expelled them from the Order, further galvanising the organisation into two camps. In 1833, about half of the AOD, numbering over a hundred lodges, split from the Grand Lodge in protest, and formed the United Ancient Order of Druids.[9] This event has subsequently become known as "the Great Secession" amongst members of the Order.[2]

Offline rs2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_Druids

However, discontent was rising in the Order. Ever since its inception, its members had come from a variety of different social backgrounds, and many of the poorer members, particularly in the newly industrial towns in the English Midlands, wanted it to act more like the benefit clubs and friendly societies such as the Oddfellows, the Foresters and the Shepherds, which were then rising in popularity. These benefit clubs collected membership fees into a central fund that they used to care for members who were too ill to work, or unable to pay for their funerals. In particular, these dissenting voices wanted to cease sending a percentage of their funds to the Grand Lodge (formerly Lodge No. 1), and to introduce more democratic reforms within the movement, so that the Archdruids of each lodge had a larger say over the movement. In the first years of the 1830s, a group of lodges decided to found an elected United Provisional Committee, but in retaliation the Grand Lodge and its allies expelled them from the Order, further galvanising the organisation into two camps. In 1833, about half of the AOD, numbering over a hundred lodges, split from the Grand Lodge in protest, and formed the United Ancient Order of Druids.[9] This event has subsequently become known as "the Great Secession" amongst members of the Order.[2]

Hi, thankyou for that info