Author Topic: Are these two men the same person? Also looking for approximate age of portrait.  (Read 544 times)

Offline ryantfx

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello all

My name is Ryan and I’m new to the forum here. This is my first post!

I’ve been researching my family history recently more specifically my paternal great grandfather, Walter Green. A distant cousin gave me a family portrait with Walter’s mother, sister, brother, and an unknown male individual I am thinking is my great grandfather. I am looking to identify if they are the same person.

I have cropped the younger man’s photo out of the portrait and attached below, and also attached an older photo of Walter. Looking for opinions on whether or not you believe they are in fact the same person. With the context of having all of his family members and some facial similarities I think there’s a good chance that it is indeed him.

I’ve also attached the entire portrait, I’m looking to see what year people believe that the portrait was taken. For context, Margaret Green (very top left) was born in 1862, who I believe is Walter Green (bottom left) was born in 1884, Hugh Green (bottom right) was born in 1881, Clara Green (top center) was born in 1883, and Marie Bouchard (top right) was born in 1888. I think the portrait is sometime between 1905-1910...

Thank you for your time

Ryan

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Are these two men the same person? Also looking for approximate age of portrait.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan

welcome to Rootschat. I cant help on time of photo but for what its worth I think there are 2 things similar enough for me to say yes they are highly likely to be the same person

The overall facial structure I could see aging in that manner but 2 small things pushed me along.

The right ear cartilage (left side looking)  on both pics protrudes in a similar manner. The other thing is the 'dent' in the skull to the right side (left looking)

As I said small things but consistent. The nose and eyes are difficult as they are masked by the glasses to an extent. Age tends to change noses and damage can further mask any similarities.

Good luck
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are these two men the same person? Also looking for approximate age of portrait.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I think could be as both photos the eyelids seem to have an overhang which is more pronounced in older photo
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I think you have the photo date pretty accurate.  I'd say 1907-1910 ish  :)

The two close ups do share a good likeness; the ears  and eyes in particular. Eyes tend to sag more as one gets older, as Creasegirl says.

Gadget

Sorry - I didn't notice that you had just joined -  Welcome to Rootschat  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I also see a likeness between the older man and the woman in centre front in the group shot.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryan and welcome to RootsChat...I too believe it is the same person. Walter looks to be in his early 20s so the date fits too. Lovely family photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU