Author Topic: Alexander McGregor, Born 1755, Aberfoyle, Died 1828, Bedford, PA - Help, please  (Read 577 times)

Offline EEMooreTX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander's father is Gregor McGregor, and his mother is Isobel MacKinnon. They were married in 1751 in Drymen.  Gregor also went by "Campbell".  I'm now stuck.  When was Gregor born, and to whom?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McGregor, Born 1755, Aberfoyle, Died 1828, Bedford, PA - Help, please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
As the name MacGregor was proscribed it couldn't appear on a legal document hence Campbell.

Skoosh.

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McGregor, Born 1755, Aberfoyle, Died 1828, Bedford, PA - Help, please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
As the name MacGregor was proscribed it couldn't appear on a legal document hence Campbell.

Skoosh.

I'm lost here.  Would you expand on your explanation?
Thanks
 :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline EEMooreTX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 02:12 GMT (UK) »
The name McGregor/MacGregor was outlawed/proscribed.  However, I know that - I was just making the point that Alexander's father also used the name Campbell, hoping that might shed some light on which Gregor I'm looking for.

Gregor McGregor/Campbell is Alexander's father.  He married Alexander's mother, Isobel, in 1751.  I'm now trying to find Gregor's father and mother.

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 02:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a brickwall with the name Campbell in my tree.  The farthest back is a Daniel Campbell who died in c1828 in Pennsylvania but then I am stuck.

In addition, the name Magruder is in my tree as well and I think I read that this name has roots in the McGregor or MacGregor names.  Is there any truth to this?  The Magruder family married into the Selby family in Maryland in 1708.
 :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline EEMooreTX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 03:08 GMT (UK) »
It's definitely a possibility.  Due to the proscription, many McGregors changed their names for survival's sake. See http://iainthepict.blogspot.com/2011/04/proscription-of-macgregor.html for an explanation.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Rob Roy was sheltered by the duke of Argyll when being pursued in court by the duke of Montrose, Argyll replied to a complaint from Montrose that he only provided shelter & water, Montrose fed him!  ;D Hence the use of Campbell.

Skoosh.