Author Topic: Patience Greenhalgh  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Patience Greenhalgh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 00:13 GMT (UK) »
1861 gives birthyear 1818 and birthplace Halliwell

1871 - 1818 and Heaton nr Bolton

1881 & 1891  - 1818 Horwich

Died Dec 1895 age 76

For Squire: Birthplace: G B

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Who was the other witness to the marriage?

Edward Fairbrother

Edward Fairbrother witnesses several weddings in the same month so was probably a church official.
Cowban

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 00:46 GMT (UK) »
i am seriously thinking about not bothering,you get more questions than answers.

Here's the reason we ask questions etc.

Hello,could anybody on here find the parents of Patience Greenhalgh b1816. She married Thomas Beck 1836 St Mary the Virgin,Deane.
One of the witnesses on the Marriage is Squire Greenhalgh. Thomas and Patience lived in Horwich.
I have tried all free sites i know about but hoping someone can pinpoint the correct Patience with a Squire relative.

No birthplace given in your opening post and you say she was born 1816

1841 census shows Dean same place at the time. Bolton le Moors was in the Parish of Deane the town they lived in was Horwich.

The 1841 census does not show actual birthplaces - it just shows N or Y for whether they were, or were not, born in the county in which they were living at the time of the census

You say you know all about her from 1841 onwards in which case you will know that the only census showing a birth year of 1816 is 1841/1851 - 4 subsequent censuses all show 1818 as does her death reg.  Her birthplace varies but no mention in your post

Squire could have been her father/brother/cousin etc etc - we don't know so can only offer possibilities

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 01:55 GMT (UK) »
No birthplace given in your opening post and you say she was born 1816

1841 census shows Dean same place at the time. Bolton le Moors was in the Parish of Deane the town they lived in was Horwich.

You say you know all about her from 1841 onwards in which case you will know that the only census showing a birth year of 1816 is 1841/1851 - 4 subsequent censuses all show 1818 as does her death reg. 

Deane was one of the ancient parishes in Salford Hundred. Horwich, Heaton and Halliwell were originally in the parish of Deane.  As far as I am aware, Bolton was not in the parish of Deane in 1841.

Age of Patience and her husband was 25 on 1841 census. Age of a person over 15 was supposed to be rounded down to a multiple of 5 on 1841 census. Patience's age may have been between 25 and 29. She might have been nearly 30. Therefore born sometime between 1811 -1816. That's assuming that she or whoever completed census form knew how old she was.

LANOPC doesn't have baptisms at Deane parish church 1813-1821.

Is there any indication that the Greenhalgh family may have been Non-Conformist? There's a long history of Non-Conformism in the Bolton area.

A Squire Greenhagh aged 22 was buried at Horwich Chapel in 1838.

Have you found any potentials for your Squire Greenhalgh on a census?
Cowban

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maiden Stone just for information the address on the 1841 census is Factory Hil, Dean. I know the houses well as i walk my dogs past regularly ,Factory Hill is in Horwich
As carolw has pointed out Patience was now born 1818.
I had seen Squire Greenhalgh Burial but have not managed to find a baptism. I have tried looking on census
I dont know anything about the Greenhalgh family only that Patience married Thomas .
Lee

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »

As carolw has pointed out Patience was now born 1818.
I had seen Squire Greenhalgh Burial but have not managed to find a baptism. I have tried looking on census
I dont know anything about the Greenhalgh family only that Patience married Thomas .
Lee

I would say that Patience's year of birth is indeterminate. Sometime between 1810 and 1820.

You mean she married Thomas Beck.
Cowban