Author Topic: Thomas Beck 1815 Ulverston.  (Read 1868 times)

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Beck 1815 Ulverston.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 November 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I doubt that very much but i keep on trying
Lee
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline JonnyM

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 November 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

Thanks to you and others who have kindly contributed, I think together you've managed to open a 'dead-end' with Thomas Beck b.1815 in Ulveston by identifying Nancy Beck as his likely mother and very possibly her parents too. Well done!  Myself and others have been unable to go further back than Thomas until now.  His naming a daughter Nancy is obviously a big clue as are the parents of Nancy being a Thomas and Agnes.  Agnes is a name that was regularly changed to Nancy so I've just discovered so this may increase the possibility further.

The marriage of Nancy Beck to Ratcliff Wrigley is also new to us and the latter Wrigley / Beck census connections are worth exploring.  As is the likely 1871 Richard 'Beck' (Greenhalgh nephew) and I will look into this when I subscribe to Ancestry shortly.

In terms of Patience Greenhalgh's parents and also the Squire Greenhalgh witness connection, there seems to be a gap in the St.Mary The Virgin (Deane, Bolton) Baptismal Records for 1813-1821 when I suspect either Patience or Squire may have been baptised.  It would be useful to know if these records simply no longer exist or if they have not yet been transcribed are unreadable?  Any help that anyone can offer on that mystery would be great?

Unfortunately to complicate matters the combination of names; Squire and Greenhalgh seems to be very popular within the Greenhalgh family locally according to a general Lancs OPC search, so it is not quite as unique as it might sound.  So it's not immediately obvious whether this Squire is a sibling, parent or even a cousin or uncle of Patience at this stage.  But interestingly this record of their apparent first born son gives an indication of its importance perhaps and where we should be looking (squire!):

Baptism: 15 Apr 1838 Horwich Chapel, Horwich, Lancashire, England
Squire Beck - Son of Thomas Beck & Patience
    Abode: Horwich
    Baptised by: David Hewitt, Minister
    Register: Baptisms 1813 - 1841, Page 169, Entry 1351
    Source: LDS Film 2113121

Going back further I've also spotted a Thomas and Charity Greenhalgh married in the parish around 1815 and they may have a connection in naming a daughter like the mother after one of the virtues; Patience.  Tenuous link I know but perhaps one we might not want to discount at this stage. Albeit the name Greenhalgh is pretty much ramified in the area. 

Marriage: 30 May 1815 St Mary the Virgin, Deane, Lancashire, England
Thos. Greenhalgh - Bachelor, this Parish [Deane]
Charity Kirkman - (X), Spinster, this Parish [Deane]
    Witness: A. Boardman; Laurence Fisher
    Married by Banns by: R Latham A.M. Vicar.
    Register: Marriages 1813 - 1818, Entry 59
    Source: Manchester Archives microfilm

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello JonnyM
People are very helpful on here and have raised some possibilities.
I am not too sure about Thomas and Agnes Woodburn being Nancys parents  as this couple had a daughter born in January 1794 in Liverpool a month before Nancy was baptised at Ulverston.
It would also discount the other baptisms for Peggy 1790 and John 1785 and the possible Mary b1787.
Lanc opc gives a burial Ulverston for Thomas Beck master mariner in February 1796.
Lee

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Re gap in St. Mary the Virgin, Deane records.

I don't know when the printed list of registers held by Lancashire Archives was updated. It may be worth ferreting in the online catalogue or it may not.
 What about Bolton Library archives?

I wonder if anyone in either of these 2 societies may know if there were registers for those years:
Lancashire Parish Register Society
www.lprs.org.uk/publications

Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society
www.lfhhs.org/home.php

Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society has a Bolton branch.
Cowban