Author Topic: Catherine Brennan, emigrated to Australia on the Kapunda 1875  (Read 4670 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Brennan, emigrated to Australia on the Kapunda 1875
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 November 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
My sister and I have now arranged for memorials to be placed on the unmarked graves of Catherine Brennan and William Turner at Lockhart. We are using the birth date of 1848 and maiden name of Brennan for Catherine  They will be bronze plaques on polished granite "desks" on reinforced concrete bases. Several other relatives are also contributing. One of these relatives told me yesterday that after the tragedy of the house fire and the tragedy of them being buried in different parts of the cemetery there was a further tragedy. The local priest refused to give Catherine the last rites because the charred remains were intermingled to an extent and he didn't want to accidentally give the last rites to a Protestant portion of the remains. I hope that is just a family myth, the story is sad enough without that.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »
It may not be a myth.
My Grandparents died 6  mths apart in 1910 and are buried outside the fence of the Family Plot.
The reason is that theirs was a mixed Marriage Catholic/Protestant and the Plot was consecrated Catholic ground.
Luckily the Headstones were lovely though, Loved Son of .. and Daug in law of ..

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline If the shoe fits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff
Fellow Aussie here, tracing my own family.

May I suggest looking at the shipping records.  I know about the Kapunda, I am glad your family arrived here safely.  With shipping records, we have the Australian ones, BUT.... remember that Australia was not  a Country until 1901, so some records ARE on the national archives here but there are records held by the Colonial Secretrary - that means ALL paperwork for every area of Australia are held by NSW too. 

BUT... I would use the shipping records from the UK - England... because they coordinated the shipping, even for ships leaving Dublin.  There are always two shipping records - outgoing and incoming.  The outgoing shipping records seem to be more reliable - they are obviously familiar with the geographical locations in Ireland so have recorded more accurate data.  That would be my first goto because you could be given exact locations to start your search

Offline If the shoe fits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 02:18 BST (UK) »
Also, the Kapunda was HUGE news, check Trove for newspapers - the arrival would have been a big deal, the standout compared to other ships arriving at the same time.  I know I have read Kapunda on Trove because thats how I found the story.  But there may be websites or blogs JUST for the Kapunda, from other descendants who had ancestors arrive here on the ship.

Look for the Surgeons Log, the shipping list/log.   It has a tonne of informamation usually.  It can even have something as minor as the age being 19 6/12 months, so you can work out exactly which MONTH they were born in a specific year.