Author Topic: 31/07/1917, David R W MCLEAN, 36, Scots Guards  (Read 803 times)

Offline anne P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
31/07/1917, David R W MCLEAN, 36, Scots Guards
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
David Ritchie Williamson McLean was born 1881 in Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire, the youngest child of John Thomson McLean and Isabella Martin. He worked as a gamekeeper and married Anne Walker in 1912 at Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. They had 2 children, Margaret and John. When war came, David enlisted in the army in 1915 and was mobilised with the 1st Battalion Scots Guards in 1916. His army service number was 15754. He was killed on the first day of the Third Battle of Ypres and is commemorated with the surname Maclean, at the top of Panel 11 of the Menin Gate. His wife Annie remarried in Scotland in 1919 a Canadian soldier, and together they emigrated and settled in Wisconsin USA. Annie sailed in August 1919 from Liverpool, together with children Margaret and John McLean, and new baby Eveline Goulet. In 1921 Annie wrote to the Scots Guards in London requesting details of her former husband's death. The answer was that he had been buried "at a point east of Boesinghe, north of Ypres." he grave was unregistered. She received a widows' pension of 22s 11d per week for herself and 2 children.

My grandmother and Annie Goulet maintained contact by letter and we have inherited photographs, but sadly contact with David's descendants is now lost, but David is not forgotten. He was my grandfather's youngest brother. Anne P

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: 31/07/1917, David R W MCLEAN, 36, Scots Guards
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
You don't say if you're looking for further info. or what info?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline anne P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 31/07/1917, David R W MCLEAN, 36, Scots Guards
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response and apologies for not replying earlier. Mainly I was commemorating David McLean at this time. As I'm searching for living folks I didn't think it appropriate to ask for help. I just thought there might be a small chance of a descendant reading my post and making contact.

anne P