Author Topic: Adam HENDERSON of Jedburgh and the STAMP family  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam HENDERSON of Jedburgh and the STAMP family
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the ancestors of my great x 4 grandmother Elizabeth Stamp nee Henderson born c 1768 in Scotland and died in 1851 in Sharperton, Northumberland.

Elizabeth Henderson married Thomas Stamp in Alwinton, Northumberland in 1805. They were both described as resident in "Kidland Lordship extraparochial" a couple of miles from Alwinton. 3 of their children were baptised in Alwinton between 1808 and 1812. Thomas Stamp is described as a shoemaker from the local area and Elizabeth, native of Jedburgh, is the daughter of Adam Henderson also native of Jedburgh. A 4th child, Adam, does not appear to have been baptised.

Presuming Elizabeth was born in Jedburgh, I have not found a baptism for her there. There are actually relatively few Hendersons registered in that parish. A possible baptism for Elizabeth's father Adam Henderson is in 16 Apr 1732. "Thomas Henderson Deacon of Threshers in Jed had a child baptized: Adam. Wits: George Bulberwall present deacon of * shoemaker & James Davidson shoemaker both in Jed "

What is the significance of a "deacon" in this context?

Elizabeth's husband Thomas Stamp was a shoemaker whose death was recorded in the Newcastle Journal in 1840. Elizabeth is registered as "Ind" and "annuitant" in the 1841 and 1851 censuses, is named on the "Tithe Apportionments" for Sharperton c 1836 and leaves a will confirming known family relationships as well as effects to a value of under 200 pounds.

The Stamp family were catholic. Their details are listed in C of E documents as papists/dissenters  and they worshipped and registered births and deaths at Biddlestone (catholic) Chapel. I don't know if the Hendersons were also catholic.

Any tips or pointers to resources are very welcome. I have looked at ScotlandsPeople but the website does not appear to work very well and I have given up in frustration. The site keeps asking me to log in and loses my searches in the interim.

Thanks for reading!

GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Adam HENDERSON of Jedburgh and the STAMP family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I had Henderson ancestors in Jedburgh in the 1600s, and the name goes back a long way there. Here's something from the archives of the University of Edinburgh about a Thomas Henderson in Jedburgh who seems to have been a spy for the English in 1559, just before Scotland's Protestant Reformation was implemented, a generation later than in England.

https://archives.collections.ed.ac.uk/repositories/2/resources/85127

The "deacon" of a guild was basically in charge of that trade in the burgh, collecting in members' dues, etc. If you ever come to Edinburgh you'll hear the tale of Deacon Brodie, the respected master cabinetmaker and locksmith who fitted locks to wealthy people's doors but, unknown to them, took impressions of them so he could burgle the houses at night. There was a film about him with Billy Connolly. He was hanged in the High Street (Brodie, not Connolly) allegedly on a gallows he had built himself. He made a metal collar to go round his neck and prevent the rope from strangling him, then a friend was going to sneak him away after nightfall, but sadly it didn't work. You know what Burns said about "the best-laid plans of mice and men ..."

Incidentally, I had ancestors from Northumberland called Stephenson, and I have traced them back to Alwinton.

Harry

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 18 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response! I will look out for that Billy Connolly film.

If you haven't already been to the area around Alwinton it is worth a visit. It's a very isolated and beautiful area.
GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've been to Alwinton and it's lovely.

My 4 x great-grandfather Joseph Stephenson married his wife Margaret Renwick at Alwinton in 1791, and his brother Thomas Stephenson married Mary Ord there the following year.

At Whitsunday 1792 the Stephenson brothers took over the lease of Longyester farm in East Lothian and one of the witnesses was Thomas's brother-in-law John Ord "of Sharperton Edge".

Harry