Author Topic: Catherine Lamont Robertson  (Read 1251 times)

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Lamont Robertson
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a family member born in Glasgow in 1915 called Catherine Robertson. When I obtained her birth certificate it stated her name was Catherine Lamont Robertson. Lamont seems a very strange middle name especially for a girl and it is not the maidan names of any other relatives. Could anyone tell me if this is a Scottish name.
Regards Colcal

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Lamont Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I have a family member born in Glasgow in 1915 called Catherine Robertson. When I obtained her birth certificate it stated her name was Catherine Lamont Robertson. Could anyone tell me if this is a Scottish name.

Put simply, yes but could also be Irish.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Does the marriage of her parents hold any clues?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline colcal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. No clues I'm afraid, her grandmothers maiden names were Ramage and Mooney and her mothers name was Alice Prior. I have just Googled Lamont and it came up with Scottish clan (medieval). It still seems a very strange name for a baby girl.
Kind regards Colcal

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Surnames as middle names whether female or male would have been significant to the parents with no bearing on the sex of the child as it's a 'surname' & there are many females with surnames as middle names.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
No clues I'm afraid, her grandmothers maiden names were Ramage and Mooney and her mothers name was Alice Prior.

Have you looked at the names of witnesses?

If Catherine was Catholic is there any clue in her baptism as the surname of a sponsor?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
her grandmothers maiden names were Ramage and Mooney and her mothers name was Alice Prior.

What about the maiden names of g g/parents?

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a family member born in Glasgow in 1915 called Catherine Robertson. When I obtained her birth certificate it stated her name was Catherine Lamont Robertson. Lamont seems a very strange middle name especially for a girl and it is not the maidan names of any other relatives.
It is a Scottish surname, and it was common for both boys and girls to be given a surname as a middle name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I agree with the ohers - quite common to give surnames as middle names to girls. I have several in the families I am researching. I also have Scottish Lamonts in one branch.

The first place to look for any connections is family - grandparents and great grandparents etc, but the surname as middle name could have come from elsewhere, and you may never find the connection.

I have a record of a document where the Scottish father was talking about his children and explaining how many of them were given their middle names. He also requested that these middle names be passed down the generations. One that sticks in my mind is that one of his childen was given, as a middle name, the surname of someone who was "kind to his wife". Another family gave their daughter the surname of their employer as middle name. It is generally done to "honour" someone who the family hold in high regard.

One of my favourites is the family (not Scottish) who gave each of their ten children the same middle name - in this example I know it was the mother's maiden name.  :)

There will be many other similar stories.  :)