Author Topic: Pennslyvania  (Read 1415 times)

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pennslyvania
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 03:58 GMT (UK) »
For Irish immigrants of that period in those areas, I would think your focus should be on Catholic sacramental records.  Depending on the parish and diocese, those records might still be held by the original church or might be held in a diocese archive.

I’d suggest trying to identify the church(es) where the baptisms, marriages, or funerals might have taken place, and then contact either the parish or diocese to determine where the records are held.

If the people lived in a city, most city directories list all of the churches and their locations, and this can help you pinpoint likely churches that would have performed the ceremonies.

Steve

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Some ships' passenger lists have a column indicating where the immigrant is going.  That might narrow down where you might look.
 :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline Elan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sbny and uk. Good advice.  Sbny are you  saying no public records are available in that area for that period? AND how do I access these records? I live down under so I am very unfamiliar with BDMs in the US as you can guess. Anything to help would be most appreciated. Thankyou.
Carroll,Newman,Carter,Higgins,BentleyMadsen,Meldrum,lay,Butters,Henderson,Stevenson

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
The answer to your question really depends on the locality, but in general, there were few civil BDM records required during that period.

FamilySearch.org has microfilmed most of the records that do exist. You can do a search of their catalog by location, and whatever records they have will be listed under Vital Records for that location.  Most but not all have been digitized and can be accessed online, although for some you may need to access them through your local Family History Centre.

Philadelphia is the one locality where you would be most likely to find civil BMD records for that period.

Pennsylvania required birth and death reporting from 1852-54, but compliance was spotty and the law was repealed.  But most of the records have survived and are held at the county level.

There may be some limited records for areas that are now part of New York City.

As for Catholic sacramental records, the New York archdiocese is the only one I know of whose old records are available online (Findmypast). For the others you will need to contact either the parish or the diocese to see if they can search their records.  The Pittsburgh diocese has their records in a centralized archive and has info about ordering records on their website.

For other dioceses, if you can’t find info on their website, I would think most would respond to email inquiries on how to proceed.

Steve

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline Elan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks uspetticrew I can see that not a lot of work will be getting down in the domestic stakes today!!
Carroll,Newman,Carter,Higgins,BentleyMadsen,Meldrum,lay,Butters,Henderson,Stevenson

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Elan do you have any names etc? nikitah