Author Topic: Elizabeth Evans died 1861/1871  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Evans died 1861/1871
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Evans, aged 19, married John Wood Wyllie on 30 May 1846 in All Souls' Church, Langham Place, London. They had a son, John Evans Wyllie in 1847. John Wood Wyllie died in April 1848.

In 1852 Elizabeth Evans or Wyllie married John Francis (Frank) Berry in Croydon. They had several children, the youngest of whom, Frank Valentine Berry, was born in Chelsea in 1856. In the 1861 the family was at 58 Queens Road, Chelsea.

John Francis Berry remarried in 1871, to Hannah Goodman, in St George Hanover Square in the March quarter of 1871.

Therefore Elizabeth Evans or Wyllie or Berry must have died between 1856 and 1871, presumably in London/Middlesex or nearby. The best fit is Eliza Berry, who died in Pancras in the June quarter on 1870, aged 44.

I know that the death certificate is unlikely to help much because it won't tell me the name of her husband or the names of her parents. Can anyone else suggest anywhere else that I could look for additional evidence that will confirm or otherwise that she is the one I am looking for?

I have reams and reams of information about her husband John Wood Wyllie and her son John Evans Wyllie, who are my blood relations. In particular, I know about the court cases in which John Wood Wyllie's brother William tried to have him declared insane in order to set aside his marriage and his will so please don't get sidetracked into these court cases, fascinating though they are. And I am not looking for more information than I already have about John Francis Berry or his children, none of whom are related to me.

At the moment I am just trying to pin down Elizabeth's death. All suggestions gratefully received.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Evans died 1861/1871
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
There's an entry on DeceasedOnline for Eliza Berry on 27 April 1870 location 'Camden'.

She's in a common grave with 13 others but the actual register entry may give a home address.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I'll add that to the list to be looked up next time I take a subscription to DeceasedOnline. Camden seems to be quite a distance from her usual stamping ground of Chelsea, but perhaps she was taken into a hospital there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Another suggestion, correct first name and closer to home ...

Elizabeth BERRY aged 39
Mar Qtr 1868
St George Hanover Square 1a 197

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Not quite the right age, but certainly one I will bear in mind.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:55 GMT (UK) »
DeceasedOnline shows two Elizabeth BERRY buried at Brompton Cemetery (Kensington) in the first quarter of 1868 - one on 6 January and the other on 20 January. The GRO death index suggests they both died in St George Hanover Square, and the other one was aged 80. You can't tell which is which from the index entries, so you would have to take a chance on which record to open.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 10:10 GMT (UK) »
The page range for St Geo Han Sq March 1/4 1868 is 187-237.

I would suggest that Elizabeth aged 39 page 197 was buried before Elizabeth Berry aged 80 page 211.

You can search Brompton Cemetery's records here

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/brompton-cemetery/search-burial-and-cremation-records

and see the register entries for the 2 ladies above.

Does the address for Elizabth Berry aged 39 'match' the 1871 census?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, both. The second one was the one aged 80.

The address of the first one, aged 39, was given as 33 Chapel Street, Grosvenor Square. I searched for 33 Chapel Street, Grosvenor Square, in the 1871 census, and found a household consisting of Elizabeth Wyllie, aged 2; Martha Murphy, 81; Hannah Berry, 19; plus two servants and a visitor.

John Francis Berry and Elizabeth Evans had, among others, a daughter Hannah, born in Chelsea in 1852. Hannah never married, but in 1881 and 1891 she was a barmaid in her father's inn, and later on she made her home with her sister Eliza, wife of Thomas Harrington, whose daughter Ada Harrington married John George Wyllie, grandson of John Wood Wyllie and Elizabeth Evans.

John Evans Wyllie had a daughter Elizabeth, born 1868. In 1871 John Evans Wyllie and his wife were visiting his stepfather John Berry and his new wife in Gloucestershire, so I deduce that 33 Chapel Street was the home of John Evans Wyllie.

So thank you, I reckon you have cracked it :)

I had no idea that the Brompton Cemetery records could be searched online. Bring on a few rainy days!