Author Topic: Lunatic asylum but Chelsea Pensioner?  (Read 862 times)

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lunatic asylum but Chelsea Pensioner?
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have come across a census (1871) about my ggg grandfather. I know that he was born in Ireland and he served in the army and was a Chelsea Pensioner.
This census was taken from the District Country Lunatic Asylum in Warwick (where I knew he was living in at the time - he also died in Warwick). His age matches up as well as it saying he was married and also lists his occupation as a "Pensioner" (does this reference to the Chelsea Pensioner?).
I was wondering whether this really is him? If he was a Chelsea Pensioner, how would he be left in a lunatic asylum? Also for every patient listed on the census (inc my ggg grandad) their place of birth says Warwick Union, Warwickshire?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lunatic asylum but Chelsea Pensioner?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
All Army Pensioners were Chelsea Pensioners, there were in Pensioners who lived in, and out Pensioners who could be living anywhere. You man would have been an out Pensioner.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Not all Army Chelsea Pensioners lived in the Chelsea Hospital and not all Navy Greenwich Pensioners lived in the Greenwhich Hospital because those facilities were over subscribed. The buildings look massive but as history books show, we were always at war somewhere, thus the buildings couldn't cope.   Pensioners either lived in alternative hospital facilities if they were ill or with family (which is what my Greenwich Pensioner ancestor did) or had lodgings somewhere.

Does your ancestor have the word "lunatic" alongside his name?  If so, this could mean he suffered from post traumatic stress disorder.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Following up Rena's comment, it is worth observing that what were then called lunatic asylums we would now call mental health hospitals or similar and that there was little real  treatment for even the mildest mental illness.  The usual remedy was to lock the patients away.  One of my ggrandfathers spent a long period at the end of his life in such an institution and, having seen his patients notes, was clearly suffering from depression and spent his time doing a splendid job as the hospital handyman whilst still a "lunatic".

Giving the place of birth as the Warwick Union seems perhaps idleness on the part of the enumerator as it implies they were all born in the workhouse or workhouse infirmary and for them all to land up in the asylum in 1871 with presumably a mix of ages seems beyond coincidence?  Might be worth for interest looking for some of the people in the 1861?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »

I know that he was born in Ireland and he served in the army and was a Chelsea Pensioner.

Is this William Faithorn?  Both his army discharge papers and the 1861 census (in Warwick) show that he was born in Battersea, London circa 1819.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Giving the place of birth as the Warwick Union seems perhaps idleness on the part of the enumerator as it implies they were all born in the workhouse or workhouse infirmary

Not quite, but it does imply they were all born in the area covered by the workhouse, ie the parishes that made up the Warwick Union, whereas I imagine the asylum covered a larger area - perhaps Warwickshire as a whole.  So yes I think idleness on the part of either the enumerator or more likely the administrator of the asylum.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Following up Rena's comment, it is worth observing that what were then called lunatic asylums we would now call mental health hospitals or similar and that there was little real  treatment for even the mildest mental illness.  The usual remedy was to lock the patients away.  One of my ggrandfathers spent a long period at the end of his life in such an institution and, having seen his patients notes, was clearly suffering from depression and spent his time doing a splendid job as the hospital handyman whilst still a "lunatic".

My gtgtgt-grandmother who was born in the 1820s spent her last decade in Colney Hatch asylum.   I've seen her notes and I think she had tertiary syphyllis.

She is described as being helpful on the ward.  She had delusions of wealth and thought her aunt had left her 8,000 pounds.  I just wish the doctor had written down the aunt's name!  The notes mention that her brother had visited her.  On admission she is described as tall (but it doesn't state the height) and 6 1/2 stone. 

What was reassuring though was I got the impression from the notes that she was treated very kindly.  I wasn't sure I really wanted to see her notes but I'm glad I did.