Author Topic: Baptised twice?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptised twice?
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I have found a baptism entry for my ggg grandfather in 1818 to parents William and Sarah Faithorn in Battersea, Surrey (I know he was born here). However, I have just found another baptism entry, this time in Ireland (I know he was living here at the time) and he is 42 years old here and the same parents are named. This coincides with the year he left the army. Anyone have any ideas as to why he was baptised twice? 

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptised twice?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Was it just before a marriage?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Was it just before a marriage?

No it was ten years after marriage!

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a branch of my family where all the children were baptised in the local church, then about a decade later the parents took all the children on a long trip to a Catholic church where they were baptised into that faith. I was informed by the Catholic archivist that it was permitted to have children baptised in local churches where there were no Catholic churches in the region.

We know he was baptised, which was his parents and godparents promising to keep him on the right path,  but I wondered if the second ceremony was a confirmation.

Alternatively, did he make a decision to change his religion from one to another:   Methodist; CofE; Catholic; etc.

I surfed and found this comment about the Catholic church in Ireland:-
Roman Catholics refer to anyone who is Western Rite Catholic-as they go to a church that is directly a part of the Roman Patriarchy. ... Most Irish Catholics are Roman Catholics however there are some Eastern Rite Catholic Churches in Ireland and you might fight someone with a name like Sean Patrick O'Neal who goes to one.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
If you're sure he was the same man the most likely reasons are that he was changing religious denomination or else that he wasn't sure if he'd been baptised as a baby and was just making sure. Are there any notes on either baptism entry?
Which churches were they?

I doubt if there were Eastern Rite Catholic churches in Ireland 200 years ago.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 07:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a note in the baptism register which indicates he was a convert.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633670#page/22/mode/1up

William is #21 in the register - go across to far right
‘Recens conversus hodie sub conditione baptizatus’ or similar - I am never sure of the word endings.
This would mean that today (hodie) he was baptised and converted. A conditional baptism happens when there is uncertainty about a previous baptism. Although at that time, the Catholic Church may not have acknowledged baptisms in other denominations.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
So he was being received into the Catholic Church. Notice that there were no names in column for godparents/sponsors.
Cowban

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 November 18 01:23 GMT (UK) »
My father was baptised in a Catholic Church when he was a month old but the family weren't churchgoers. Shortly before his death, when he was 68, he was visited regularly by a priest & couldn't remember if he'd been baptised so the priest performed a 'conditional' baptism .. just to be sure. So he was baptised twice. LOL
CHS: Boulderstone, Lomas, Bracegirdle, Worsencroft, Whitelegg, Jones, Simpson, Harding, Walley, Crewe<br />LAN: Butterworth, Holme, Brierley, Hoyle, Keary, Taylor, Bonney, Winterbottom, Bennison, Roscoe<br />W/MIDS: Stringer, Gill, Hampton, Hancox, Grainger, Parkes, Bodily, Jeavons, Ellis, Troman<br />MSX, LON, SRY: Stoner, Russell, Colebrook, Deighton, Husher, Bonney, Knott, Boatwright, Woodman, Smith<br />CLA: Quinn, Creedy, McGrath, McInerney, Arkins<br />COR: Lenihan, Connor, Byrne, Welsh<br

Offline oldgramma3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
I was baptized twice. The first time as a baby. The second time in a different church because making my own choice was the way I wanted to go. It's a matter of doctrine. I didn't read your message closely enough - bad habit - and thought it was twice as a baby. That did seem weird unless something happened that made the parents think the baptizer was a fake?