Author Topic: John riding born c1816 , abode Eccleston(Edited).  (Read 841 times)

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John riding born c1816 , abode Eccleston(Edited).
« on: Wednesday 07 November 18 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody help with a birth/baptism. john Riding/Ryding born 1816 though could be rounded down .first i have of him is his marriage november 1841 ,St Andrews Leyland to Mary Knowles.
He is single,abode Eccleston she is single abode Leyland.
Witnesess are Ellen Knowles and George Draper.
Grooms father william Lee. Brides father John Knowles.
They are in Horwich in 1851 onwards and Mary Dies.
John Marries again to Mary Dickinson in 1856 again giving William Lee as Father.A labourer.
Can anyone find a birth or a William Lee the possible father.
Ta
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire
Crowther,Hopley,Lane,Riding.   Horwich- Lancashire.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John riding 1816 Eccleston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
He is single,abode Eccleston she is single abode Leyland.

Abode is not necessarily his birthplace.

They are in Horwich in 1851 onwards and Mary Dies.

What birthplace is shown on the 1851 entry and what birthyear?  Birthyears were not rounded down other than on the 1841 census

again giving William Lee as Father

Indicating he was probably illegitimate??  Have you checked for a female Riding marriage to a Lee?

first i have of him is his marriage november 1841
Where is he on the 1841 census which was taken before his marriage?  Is he with anybody called Lee?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 01:17 GMT (UK) »
They are in Horwich in 1851 onwards and Mary Dies

Are you sure?  The only 1851 I can see is John Ryding aged 33 occ weaver b Leyland with wife Mary 30 b Walton and they are living in Preston
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
1851 and 1861 census shows he was born in Whittle le Woods which came under the parish of Chorley.

John Ryding, bp.10/3/1816 Chorley, son of Ann Ryding.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette

Indexed as Rydings on Ancestry.

Hol

So why have you given Eccleston as his birthplace??  Given your comments on your Patience Greenhalgh post perhaps you now understand why we ask so many questions

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for info so far, Ann Riding looks possible as mother. I dont mention Eccleston as his birthplace thats why i requested a possible birth suggestions .it states Eccleston as abode on marriage entry.
Also says the same on baptism of his son James Riding 1842 St Andrews Leyland and states he is a Farmer at the time.
Another Child Hugh  Ryding baptised 1844 St Lawrence Chorley. Still a farmer but says abode Chorley
Doesn't mean i think he was born there either . If all you feel like doing is highlighting and being negative please dont  bother. If i knew everything i wouldn't be askng for help.
Regards Lee

Atack,Earnshaw,Holroyd.Holroyde, Craven.Rangeley,Gledhill.Sheffield.Brearley,Walker West Yorkshire

Offline hol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
1841 Ho107 526/6. Eccleston Household of James Ryding.cant see image but says institution.
1851 Ho107  2207/369. Horwich. Head John Ryding,Mother in Law Mary knowles visiting. I did say he was in Horwich from 51 onwards.
1861 rg09  2814/40. and so on till death.
Didnt find a marriage between Ann and  William Lee. So that doors shut.
Thanks for the Baptism again Annette7.
Thanks Carolw for questioning everything i asked.
Regards Hol

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Your subject header -

I dont mention Eccleston as his birthplace thats why i requested a possible birth suggestions .it states Eccleston as abode on marriage entry.

To anybody reading your post - your subject header indicates his birthplace as Eccleston.  As I said in my first reply - where he was living when he married is not necessarily where he was born.

You told us you had him on both the 1851 and 1861 census neither of which give his birthplace as Eccleston so why not show Whittle Le Woods as his birthplace? 

Be assured - I won't be answering any further posts from you so will leave the questions to other members

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 18 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Your subject header -

To anybody reading your post - your subject header indicates his birthplace as Eccleston.  As I said in my first reply - where he was living when he married is not necessarily where he was born.

You told us you had him on both the 1851 and 1861 census neither of which give his birthplace as Eccleston so why not show Whittle Le Woods as his birthplace? 

I also assumed the heading meant that he was born in Eccleston in 1816. Most people would have thought the same.
If I had replied to the enquiry I would have asked "which Eccleston?" Otherwise I might have wasted my time looking for baptisms in the wrong Eccleston. It would definitely have been a wasted effort since he wasn't born in any of them.
There are good reasons why people on here ask questions. One is to prevent barking up the wrong tree. We need to know what relevant information a poster has. If we need more, we ask.

Carole has helped a lot of people on RootsChat. The comments and questions she asked were not "negative". 2 comments gave information. The questions were to elicit further information. If other people had replied on the thread, some may have asked the same questions. Annette answered one question and was able to find John's baptism. (Annette has also helped many enquirers.)

Everyone on RootsChat is a volunteer. They give their time, knowledge and experience for free. One shouldn't look a gift-horse in the mouth. One should also remember that the gift-horse, although it has many talents, is not a mind-reader.

:)
Cowban