Author Topic: Exeter, Devon, England-THOMAS WALKER b. 1491/ALICE MUTTLEBURY b. 1492  (Read 285 times)

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Exeter, Devon, England-THOMAS WALKER b. 1491/ALICE MUTTLEBURY b. 1492
« on: Wednesday 07 November 18 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information On the marriage of Thomas Walker and Alice Muttlebury from Exeter, Devon, Eng.
Info I would like if found:
1. Did Thomas Walker and Alice Muttlebury get married?
2. What was the date of the marriage?
3. How many children were there? Names?

I see other Ancestry trees stating that Alice Muttlebury married a John Smythe and named the child Thomas Walker. Sounds unbelievable to change surnames from one generation to next, but not impossible knowing the origin of the WALKER surname. I have a date of birth/death for Thomas Walker of (1491-1540) I would also like to know about any siblings if possible. I am just trying to keep my Father in Laws tree lineage from having mistakes.

Thank You
Julie

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter, Devon, England-THOMAS WALKER b. 1491/ALICE MUTTLEBURY b. 1492
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
I would love to know what paper work exists, for ordinary people, that gives birth and death or baptism/burial dates from the 15 century?

I know there is plenty of recorded information for gentry and royalty but......
Rowse in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter, Devon, England-THOMAS WALKER b. 1491/ALICE MUTTLEBURY b. 1492
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
As so often, the Ancestry trees range from dubious to ludicrous. None quotes any relevant sources, as far as I can see.

There is one secondary source for the pairing with John Smith. Burke's Peerage refers to them as the parents of a Nicholas Smith, died 1596. No other children, no dates.

I can see no evidence at all for a marriage with Thomas Walker,

David