Author Topic: JOHN MORRIS  (Read 675 times)

Offline aussie-girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN MORRIS
« on: Wednesday 07 November 18 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am looking for the final resting place of my great grandfather JOHN MORRIS.
He died in the Adelaide hospital 20th February 1937 .A notice in the paper dated 20th Feb from the undertaker Le Cornu,  states that the funeral was to leave his brother's place in Prospect & travel to the Mount Barker Methodist Cemetery. Until now I can"t find his grave ,or is he buried with his wife ,daughter & grandchild, who are also buried in this cemetery with a headstone.I have contacted the council, Uniting Church SA Library , & museum to no avail. Thought I would try here before contacting the Genealogy  Society in SA
any help would be appreciated.
TIA AG

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN MORRIS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 06:08 GMT (UK) »
The funeral notice was published 20th which was a Saturday and the funeral was on the 21st, a Sunday.  Surely not time to find another cemetery.  Burial registers aren't always correct anyway.  There are often omissions.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 18 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Using Trovenla, the Adelaide Advertiser Feb 20th has a death notice stating he died on 21st in hospital.( error?) On Monday  Feb 22nd, same newspaper states that he was buried at Mount Barker on Sun 21st.
Probably best to contact the cemetery and get them to check.
shume from australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 18 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Using Trovenla, the Adelaide Advertiser Feb 20th has a death notice stating he died on 21st in hospital.( error?) On Monday  Feb 22nd, same newspaper states that he was buried at Mount Barker on Sun 21st.
Probably best to contact the cemetery and get them to check.
shume from australia

The death registration on my resource has John's date of death as 20th.  I would suggest just a typo in the death notice.

aussie-girl has contacted the cemetery trustees - the local council.  The present trustees of the cemetery were not the trustees in 1937.  If John's burial was not recorded in the Burial Register or Burial Orders, then the Council could not possibly help her.

shume I think you will find that most of the chatters on the Australian board are from Australia ;

In my opinion, John was interred at Mt Barker [Methodist] Cemetery.

Cemetery Information

The Mount Barker Cemetery was officially opened in the early 1850’s as a Wesleyan burial facility which served the residents of Mount Barker.  The Glebe burials ceased in 1865 when a Wesleyan burial register commenced. The cemetery then became a Methodist and Uniting burial ground until council took over the management of the cemetery in the early 1980’s.

Mount Barker District Council has 10 cemeteries under their care and control. Council has records for each of these cemeteries, with burial records commencing from the date indicated: Bugle Ranges (1882), Echunga (1885), Harrogate (1865), Macclesfield (1884), Meadows (1916), Meadows Old Wesleyan (1866-1948 closed), Mount Barker (1856), Mount Ephraim (1863-1915 closed), Nairne (1864) and Wistow (1857). Due to deterioration of some records, details may have been obtained from various sources, eg tombstone. Where cemeteries were used prior to the Burial Register being kept these burials are included when known.

Please contact the Local History Centre on 8391 7314 for further information.

Cheers
Cando

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 18 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Using Trovenla

Shume, it’s just TROVE.  ;)

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 November 18 02:36 GMT (UK) »
 :)
https://www.nla.gov.au/   the main National Library of Australia website ... one of the GLAM websites

https://pandora.nla.gov.au/ pandora aghhhhhhhh  it does still have the First Families 2001, just keep looking  :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/  the main Trove website

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/?q= the main trove digitised newspapers website

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trove

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 November 18 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Try SLSA  http://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au/record=b2195744~S1   Hopefully they include Mt Barker parish burial register.  However I would have thought the record if it exists, would have been transcribed to the Mt Barker Council cemetery online database.

Cando