Author Topic: Short Latin piece from Court of Chancery  (Read 474 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Short Latin piece from Court of Chancery
« on: Wednesday 07 November 18 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful for the gist of this please if possible.

From a Bill in Court of Chancery 1662 between John Rowley and John Bowyer, and several other bit part players, about inheritance of land, two of whose names I can see in this, the only page written in Latin - Robert Cartwright and John Ford .
Other names in the actual Bill in the group these two were named in were William Lane, Ralph Stone, and Margerie Eardsley, but I can’t see their names in this bit.
I think this bit comes after an ‘answer’ to the Bill by Robert Cartwright and John Ford - or at least by their counsel.
There are no answer pages for the other 3 defendants. Does anybody know what would have become of their cases?
It will be interesting to see what this Latin piece says.

Many thanks.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Short Latin piece from Court of Chancery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
It's just a writ from Westminster, authorising deputies to hear and record the defendants' answer(s) under oath. I can do it for you later tonight if you want, but I assure you it doesn't add anything to the case.

Pleadings (bills and answers) are normally filed together, so any other answers that should be there probably haven't survived, or may never have existed. I suppose there's a remote chance they haven't been recognised as belonging to the case and have therefore been catalogued separately, but that's very unusual, and you'd probably have already found them in Discovery by now.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I have quite a few Chancery cases from TNA (litigious bunch, my ancestors) where the answers of all the defendants aren't together with the Bill.

This is from a reply TNA sent me on the subject back in October 2013:

We are aware that the various bills and answers of Chancery cases can be scattered in a number of places. We have begun a programme of doing some virtual refiling, giving each case a unique identifying number. (see the series description of C 13 for more details). This is resource intensive and progress is rather slow, to date we have completed about 1/3 of the period 1800-1842 and intend to move backwards when that is complete.

Sometimes you can identify them in Discovery; probably sometimes they are there but you can't identify them; sometimes they are lost; and some may never have existed (as Bookbox has said).

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, HD, for posting that useful response from TNA.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Bookbox and HD.
I can do without the translation then, thanks for the offer Bookbox.

Interesting piece from TNA HD.

I'll have another search under the other names - though I think I did that for William Lane at least, as he is wrongly transcribed as 'William Cane' on the precis on Discovery, so I was checking to see if there was anything else for William Cane to see if he existed on anything else. (I have asked TNA to look again at his name, though my I fear my email may have got lost in the ether, as it seems several weeks ago now and I haven't heard back from them).
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs