Author Topic: Who was John Evans Wyllie's second wife?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Who was John Evans Wyllie's second wife?
« on: Wednesday 07 November 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
This follows on from https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803178

John Evans Wyllie was born in London in 1847. He married Sarah Jane Bucktrout in 1867 and they had two daughters, Elizabeth 1868 and Alice 1871 and a son John George 1873. In 1881 the family were in Paddington and John was a restaurant manager. Sarah Jane died in 1887.

In 1891 John is in the census as the manager of the Imperial Hotel, 19/20 Lime Street, Liverpool, with Eunice Wyllie, wife, 39, born Abergavenny, Wales. In 1901 they were back in London, at 123 St James Road, Battersea, Eunice being 52 and born in Brecon. John died in London in 1908.

I have failed to find the marriage of John Evans Wyllie to Eunice, or Eunice in the 1911 census, or a death or remarriage of Eunice Wyllie, or (naturally, since I have no clues to go on) Eunice's birth and parents.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was John Evans Wyllie's second wife?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a posible bpt for a Eunice Bounds in Brecon:

Dec 17 1865 (born April 1850) Eunice d of Elizabeth and Abraham Bounds (policeman)

Nothing showing for Abergavenny but, given that her baptism was much later than her birth, she might have been confused about her birthplace.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, thank you.

There is a birth of Eunice Bounds in Brecknock in 1851, mmn Williams.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought

John Wyles to one of two woman including Eunice Davies
Marriages Dec Qtr 1882   W Derby 8b   625   

Sorry -missed death of first wife in 1887

Kay

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
On the 1861 at RG09/4214/88/13

Added - Kay - his first wife dies in 1887 - see first post.

In 1881 the family were in Paddington and John was a restaurant manager. Sarah Jane died in 1887.

Added 2 - 1882 - could it be a bigamous marriage  ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:19 GMT (UK) »
On the 1861 at RG09/4214/88/13

Added - Kay - his first wife dies in 1887 - see first post.

In 1881 the family were in Paddington and John was a restaurant manager. Sarah Jane died in 1887.

Added 2 - 1882 - could it be a bigamous marriage  ???
Or there could have been another Sarah Jane Wyllie of the same age who is not in any census, and no record of the death of 'my' Sarah Jane Wyllie.

However I don't think that is the case.

There is only one death of a Sarah Jane Wyllie in FreeBMD before 1900, and that one is the right age.

There is another Sarah J Wyllie of the same age in the 1881 census, wife of Charles Wyllie, but the marriage index says that her middle name was Julia not Jane.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. There is a Eunice Bound, aged 29, wife of John Bound, born Brecon, Llandefilte, in the 1881 census in Swansea, and a marriage of a Eunice Bound to either John Bound or David Edwards in Merthyr Tydfil in 1870. The two daughters in the 1881 census are Eunice, aged and Mary A, aged 6. These match Eunice Bound, born 1872 and Mary Ann Bound, born 1874, mother's maiden name Bound. Unfortunately there is also a death of a Eunice Bound in Swansea in 1884, aged 33. Also a death of Eunice Bound, aged 23, in Swansea in 1896, who would match the child born in 1872. If this is the same family, it could account for every Eunice Bound* in FreeBMD before 1900.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Could you give the full census ref for the 1891 census , please?  I'm having trouble finding it with the address that you gave.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Just found it - RG12/2919/34/13