Author Topic: Budgens and Nutfield  (Read 649 times)

Offline f4monty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Budgens and Nutfield
« on: Wednesday 07 November 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I'm becoming stuck on my Budgen ancestors in and around Nutfield. As is often the case the surname is all over the place that far back, spelled variously as Butching/Butchin/Bowching/Bouchin/Butchings/Buchin and so on.

I so far have gone back to a John Butchin baptised on 4 May 1645 in nearby Bletchingley, son of John Buchin. The latter's birthplace and date are a mystery to me but books, other records and histories suggest the family came from nearby Nutfield (and indeed were reasonably well off). I have tried searching Ancestry for records but the transcriptions are so poor as far as I can see that I'm having little luck finding anyone before the 1640s other than a Nicholas and a John/Joseph.

Does anyone know whether a decent transcription was ever published that I might be able to purchase or has access to one they can have a look at for BMDs? I've had a look online for one but so far with no luck, other than a 'fiche' at West Surrey FHS. I wouldn't even begin to know how to look at a fiche without a big machine!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen Finch

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Budgens and Nutfield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 16:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree online with John Butchin baptised 4/5/1645, so looks like him. He is married to an Anne Alckin 4/6/1667, and they had several children. Father of this John is John Butchin who is married to Sarah Stevens 23/11/1632 in Marsthem. Sarah was baptised there on 18/6/1609. Needs checking out well of course!!
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks