Author Topic: James Henry O'HALLORAN,which county in Ireland?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Jude Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Henry O'HALLORAN,which county in Ireland?
« on: Thursday 08 November 18 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace my great great Grandfather James Henry O'HALLORAN ,born in Ireland 18 29, his parents were Michael O'HALLORAN and Ann Quinn. James married Eliza DUIGNAN (or possibly spelt DIGAMAN).in Victoria Australia in 1850 before coming to New Zealand,where he died 5 Dec 1880. Both James and his father were miners.
I would love to know which part of Ireland they came from? Thanks Jude.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Henry O'HALLORAN,which county in Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome   :)

James married Eliza DUIGNAN (or possibly spelt DIGAMAN).in Victoria Australia in 1850 before coming to New Zealand

They married in 1861, not 1850.

Marriage

DUIGMAN, Elizabeth
HOLLORIN, James

Do you have this marriage certificate?  Can you transcribe it please?  What religion were they?

Debra  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 18 07:19 GMT (UK) »

NZ BDM birth
1864/6712   O'HALLORAN   NR   parents Elisabeth /James

NZ BDM death
1880/3781   O'HALLORAN   James   51Y

Where do you see him named James Henry?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 18 07:34 GMT (UK) »
You posted in Co Roscommon, have you a reason to suspect Co Roscommon?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jude Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all so very much for replying.Now to ancwer the questions.

Sorry we do not have the marriage certificate  but have death certificates for James and Eliza.

James was a gold miner in Drybread , Central Otago New Zealand and the family lived in Ophir,Central Otago.They had two Daughters, Elizabeth being the elder.

n a relatives family tree they had him as James Henry, this could be wrong as I have not seen this in any of my research.
UNCONFIRMED SENERIOS ARE;

? re Roscommon, in my research found a birth of Ann QUINN,baptism at Kildonan,  possible parents Patrick DUIGNAN and Margaret KELLY...so thought I would start there....a long shot really...
Or
? Ann Quinn, born 1813 in Dublin
? Michael O'Halloran could have been born 1816 in Limerick
?  Passenger list show an O'Halloran Family of Ann38yrs, Michael 35yrs,  and a James 2yrs emigrated 1851 to Victoria AustraLia in 1851....this would fit if James married in 1861.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 19 10:29 GMT (UK) »
?  Passenger list show an O'Halloran Family of Ann38yrs, Michael 35yrs,  and a James 2yrs emigrated 1851 to Victoria Australia in 1851....this would fit if James married in 1861.

Is the age of the boy, James incorrect? If he married 10 years later he would be only 12 years. 

Hopefully you have asked for a copy of the marriage certificate by now.  If not then it is an essential first step as it  usually has the information as the parties themselves have supplied and, unless they had a reason to dissemble, is usually more likely to be correct than a death certificate where the information is provided by an informant. When you seek the marriage certificate ask for a copy of the actual register certificate do not request a transcribed copy.   

If you have got it could you please supply the information from it as asked for by Dundee.

I have had a quick look at Griffith's valuation and at the 'oldies' in the 1901 census  and there are very few O'Hallorans, listed  in Co Roscommon. In the south there are groupings in Co Clare.

Offline Janice Allan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I have their marriage certificate and their deaths certs.
They were married in Woolshed Victoria Australia, 23 June 1861.
James surname spelt Hollorin. Born in County Meath, Ireland
Elisabeth was born in Dublin, Ireland according to her death certificate.
Cert also gives parents names.
The name James Henry O'Halloran comes from their daughter Mary Anns marriage cert to William Buddicom.
There was a little boy that I have the birth cert of born in Alexandra to a James and Eliza (nee Daynan) O'Halloran in 1864? Not sure if he is related to our James and Eliza. He didnt attend school at Drybread with his sisters.
According to the school records the birthdates for the girls are:
Mary Anne      Oct 1865 (according to death cert Born in Victoria), started school 1873
Elizabeth    4 July 1866 (born in Backstone according to birth cert), started school 1877.