Author Topic: What age were boys apprenticed as blacksmiths? (William DEWING)  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What age were boys apprenticed as blacksmiths? (William DEWING)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 November 18 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback everyone   :)

Mowsehowse, thanks for reminding me about the blacksmith site. Interestingly William Dewing isn't listed but my 3g grandfather, Francis Taylor, is. The reason I'm interested in this William Dewing is that Francis Taylor married Mary Dewing in East Raynham in 1782 and I'm trying to work out how he's related to Mary. She did have a brother William born in 1740 but he died in 1748.   Jan

Sorry I don't have any specific information, but I am certain there is provision on the blacksmith site for people to offer additions and amendments, so your can add your William.   
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 November 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion  :)
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 November 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Maybe in a workhouse, or on parish relief, ie; living at home but receiving  aid from the parish funds.

Definitely worth enquiring if the parish overseers rate books survive.

Thank you, the family lived in Lincolnshire, so I will try Lincolnshire Archives.  They do seem to have been a poor family as 100 years later my 3 x g.grandmother died in Holbeach Workhouse.  She had had 2 illegitimate children, one the subject of a Bastardy Order, the other one not, although the father didn't marry my 3 x g.grandmother and 5 years after my 2 x g.grandmother's birth, the putative father married someone else!  Fortunately,  my 2 x g.grandfather was gainfully employed all his life, although like his forebears had the misfortune to lose his 1st wife, re-marry and then die and his 2nd wife remarry.  Unlike the past widowers she did not give up her stepchildren and, in fact, ended up living with one of them!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile