Author Topic: Charles Wilson born c1878. Census 1911 Uxbridge with wife Alice  (Read 362 times)

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Charles Wilson born c1878. Census 1911 Uxbridge with wife Alice
« on: Thursday 08 November 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Its been some while since I have been on Rootschat but I am trying to help a dear friend find out some history prompted by the 100th anniversary of the 1st World War. Details are sketchy but the relative sought is Charles Wilson who was married to Alice. He was located in Uxbridge in 1911. Charles was believed to have gone to war but rumour was that he did not return to the home because his wife went on to marry the boarder at their home in 1911 Arthur George Steptoe. Where did Charles Wilson serve and in what regiment and what became of him? Was he lost in action or if he did return, what became of him. Any information on Charles would be extremely well received and may bring to light what actually happened to Charles. Many Thanks. Robin
Rickards, Gardiner, Tibbles, Parker

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Wilson born c1878. Census 1911 Uxbridge with wife Alice
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Were Charles and Alice actually married?  She married Arthur using her maiden surname of SHARRATT.  They married in the June quarter 1915 so not much time there for it to have anything to do with the war.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 18 14:41 GMT (UK) »
This is the only Charles WILSON registered in Burton upon Trent in the right time period. 

WILSON, CHARLES
Mother's maiden surname: HARRISON      
GRO Reference: 1878  J Quarter in BURTON UPON TRENT  Volume 06B  Page 428

If you can prove that he is the correct one then the birth cert will give a date of birth and you may be able to find him in 1939 if he was still living.

I think his parents were Henry WILSON and Elizabeth HARRISON, and I see that Arthur STEPTOE was also boarding with them in 1901.

Debra  :)

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for your two posts Debra and in such a timely manner.... I will look into what you have given me and also report back to my friend. Much appreciated. Robin

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please give me a steer as what is out there as to where I can determine if Charles did in fact have involvement in WW1 or if he remained in some capacity in England. Im struggling!!  ::) His birth was Registered in the Jun Qtr 1978. In the 1911 Census he was living with Alice Wilson nee Sharratt the mother of their two living children Arthur Vivian (8) and Leslie George Harold (5) on Dolphin Warf Rockingham Road, Uxbridge. In Jun qtr 1915 A lodger with the family Arthur George Steptoe  fathered a child with Alice and they were married under her birth name of Sharratt in the Dec qtr of the same year. Later in 1920 they had another child. Both were registered in Uxbridge. Although the children of Charles and Alice carried the Wilson surname it is likely I presume that their parents were not married.

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
As always I meant to say thankyou for any information or indeed avenues to find this elusive gentleman.

Robin