Author Topic: Chiilin' with the kids and his foxy new bride....  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Chiilin' with the kids and his foxy new bride....
« on: Thursday 08 November 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 I found James Dorward and his foxy new bride Ellen, both recently married for the second time, chilling out with his four children, Margory, Alexander, Kate and James S., from his first marriage, in 11, Felix Road, Ealing, RG12/1030

Ellen's son, James Laird McLaren, from HER previous marriage is shacked up a few hundred yards up the road in 22, Alexandra Road Ealing, RG12/1030 with Ellen's mother and stepfather, Barbara and James Laird.  (The 1891 census wrongly shows Barbara's name as Rebecca.)  Barbara and James both kicked the bucket in the mid/late 1890s.

In 1901 I can find no trace of ANY of them at all, and in 1911 I can't find James Dorward nor any of his children.

In 1911 Ellen, and her son James Laird McLaren are living in 22 Grove Road, Barnes. She describes herself as married for 20 years, but no sign of James Dorward.  She says married, not widowed.

James Dorward was a ship's master, so it is CONCEIVABLE that he was away at sea in 1901 and 1911, but where were his children?  Also, being born in 1842 he must be nearing the end of his career.  And where were Ellen and James in 1901?

Thanks for any further information.

Martin

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Chiilin' with the kids and his foxy new bride....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the marriage of Margery

Dec qtr 1896 
Dorward    Margery Smith       
Winsdale    Henry Arthur       
Brentford    3a   173

They are at 39 Osterley Park View Road, Hanwell in 1901
RG13 /1206 f56 p51

ADDED She was buried 5 August age 52 - Image on F M P
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Ellen and James in Chiswick 1901,  Ellen says she is a widow surname McLaren

Piece:   1197
Folio:   50
Page Number:   22
Household schedule number:   163

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Alexander is Alexander Simpson Dorward,   Who is a Chief Engineer in 1933.  Shows up on lots of vessels, I haven’t looked at them all.

There is an Alexander Simpson Dorward born Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.
Looking for Kate M, only birth I can see on Scotland’s People that might fit is for a Catherine McDon rest of name not showing) Dorward, also at Ferry P

AND MarJory Smith Dorward also born Ferry P

And James Smith Dorward ditto

If that is the family then mother was Catherine Simpson. And there are older children with her in 1881
And another child John Braid  Dorward b 1888 who died same year along with Catherine

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Rosie99, I think that is her, despite a different spelling of her first name.  Age 25 and Scotland fit.  Thank you.

Mckha489, What address do you have for 1901, I can't find her.  I wonder why she would resort to McLaren, only to change 10 years later.  Perhaps it was easier for her son if she had the name of his late father, rather than Dorward, and then she changed again after he came of age?

Alexander is definitely Alexander Simpson Dorward, I found him and his siblings at Ferry Port on Sotlandspeople.  He also travelled to the US once or twice. What do you see him on in 1933?

Thanks for the help, I'd been struggling for a while, but Ellen's name appeared on her step-father's death cert which arrived yesterday.  She had a hard life, her father drowned in the Tay when she was a year old, then her first husband threw himself overboard from a ship in 1886.  She might have had an earlier husband, Alexander McCulloch, who might have given her a 1874 child Robert, neither of whom I can't trace.  I don't have their marriage cert as I am not sure enough.  Her step-father is my main interest.  Reports of the 1886 suicide mention a widow and two children, one of whom is James Laird McLaren, but was the other one Robert McCulloch, and where did he disappear to?

Please don't stop now!

Martin

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 November 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
1901 address for Ellen is no 37 whatever this says....Swanscombe? 

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 November 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Suspect this is James in 1913, Crew List,  he’s 2nd Engineer

Name:   James Dorward
Arrival date:   28 Jun 1913
Port of Arrival:   United States
Birth Date:   abt 1881
Nationality:   British
Port of Departure:   Limon
Ship Name:   Orleanian

Added, so I don’t think you will find either James or  Alexander in 1901/1911. Both at sea.  (added - but see later message, Alexander and Kate)

Added again, James shows up in 1894 back in Ferryport back to school, last school attended St John’s  London

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 November 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Marriage

DORWARD
KATE MACDONALD
BEHARIE
DAVID FETTES
429/ 12
Ferry Port On Craig

Added newspaper describes her father as Captain Dorward, Tayport, so still alive 1903

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Some of the crew lists are on Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22Alexander%20simpson%22~%20%2Bsurname%3ADorward~

Possible wife for Alexander further down page.  Janet Forsyth Robertson.  She died 1935