Author Topic: Michael Robin Dence  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Robin Dence
« on: Thursday 08 November 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello...........I would appreciate some assistance with some information about Michael Robin Dence. He was born May 21,1929 in Ticehurst,Sussex the son of Alexender Frank Dence (1897-1976) and Nesta Violet Hermtage (1899-1980).  Alexander Frank Dence was a noted biologist.

Michael is found in planning authority records from 1983 up to 1987 at The Mead School 16 Frant Road,Tunbridge Wells and must have been the headmaster. He was replaced in 1987 by headmistress Angela Culley. Michael died in Tunbridge Wells March 15,1998 and was cremated and his ashes buried in the Tunbridge Wells borough cemetery .

Travel records for 1939 gave Michael and his sister and parents travelling from Southampton to France and their address at the time was Highlands , 3 Chilston Road, Tunbridge Wells.

I have all the information I want for his parents and sister but what I have given above is all I know about him. Cant seem to find any records about his education or career before 1983 or when he took over the running of The Mead School in Tunbridge Wells.

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Robin Dence
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 18 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The school's website has the following potted history. Which does not mention him. I suggest you contact the school as they do seem to have some historical records.

The Mead School was originally founded by Miss Lewis and run from her bungalow in Linden Gardens. Upon her retirement the school, together with another small prep school in Southborough, moved to its present site, 16 Frant Road. This venture proved unsuccessful and the school closed.

On September 10th 1987 the school was re-established and re-opened with twelve pupils by Mrs Angela Culley who over the subsequent 30 years as Headmistress saw the school flourish, develop and grow into its current community of some two hundred and thirty five pupils.  Mrs Culley retired last year (2017) after 30 years at the helm and Mr Andrew Webster took up the position of Headteacher at the start of the new academic year.

Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter

Thanks for the reply but I had what you sent and as you can see they don't even mention Michael Robin Dence so not much research into the schools history by them.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
From Which School? 1987 as transcribed by Google Books:

"THE MEAD SCHOOL 16 From Road. Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2 5SN Head M R Dence Esq Type Coed 2 + -14 Day B60 G58 Fees £840-1000 ..."
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello ChaunJ..............You have the correct school. Its at 16 Frant Road Tunbridge Wells. Michael Robin Dence from Planning Records of this school has Michael as the headmaster from 1983 up to 1987. Their online records don't go back before 1983 so I am trying to find out in what year he became the headmaster and more information about his education  and career.

Thanks for you input.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 November 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 pre-war newspaper items that refer to him as Robin, rather than Michael.

The Kent & Sussex Courier, 17 Jan 1947, under the headline "Tunbridge Wells News in Brief" carries an item that mentions "... Mr Robin Dence, of the Young Conservatives, presided".

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
The Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser, 21 April 1950, in reporting a tennis tournament at Tunbridge Wells
"The tournament was organised by Mr G A Steele (secretary Tunbridge Wells LTA) with the assistance of the following members of the club:- ......; Mr M R Dence" 

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 November 18 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hanes

That my man alright !  He is sometimes given as Robin Dence instead of his full name.

Offline alanjudy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 November 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
He was my uncle and was always known as Robin. He bought the school after he sold my grandparents house to a developer. My grandmother died in October 1981. He was not a trained teacher. I can tell you more but not in a chat room. Can I ask why you need all this information? My mother his sister is still alive and I would hate anything to cause her any distress.