Author Topic: Hugh McKnight, dod, June 8, 1908, Annaghmore  (Read 2012 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McKnight, dod, June 8, 1908, Annaghmore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 November 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  Plain as mud!

Hugh married Hannah in Leitrim  as son of whom??. 

HUGH MCKNIGHT
Date of Birth   1881 was son of Hugh

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 November 18 22:26 GMT (UK) »
You are right, Hugh who married Hannah Greer was from  Annaghmore and his father was Hugh. So that fits. Hugh born in 1881 was Hugh and Hannah's son - that fits and would make him a grandson to Grandfather Hugh who died in Nov 1907. But where is grandson Hugh in 1901? Maybe he went to America or somewhere. The rest of the story is that Hannah must have died if Isabella was Grandfather Hugh's daughter-in-law and widow of his deceased son Hugh by 1905. Unless Hannah was Hannah Isabella. We would still need the death of son Hugh before 1905. And where is Hannah or Isabella in 1901 or 1911?
Maybe we have to look outside Ireland.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 November 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
That is why I posted the Link to them so you can study them at leisure as it can get messy if wrong people get posted.

Also, McNeight was also a variant of name.

Even doing this Census search doesn't show Hugh

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 November 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
....nor a 30 y.o. Hugh in 1911

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 November 18 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Aha. I think we are onto something. I found a Hugh McKnight in 1900 in Philadelphia,  wife Isabella, sons William and Thomas but Isabella had had no children. So I looked up the births of William and Thomas in Ireland and they were sons of Hugh and Hannah Greer. I  also found the marriage of Hugh McKnight and Isabella Irwin Oct 11, 1888 in Gloucester City, Camden Co., New Jersey although I didn't see an image to see Hugh's father but now it is  all falling into place. But where is grandson Hugh?
And now, I have just found the death of Hugh McKnight in Philadelphia on Jan 1, 1904, born Ireland 1854, both parents born Ireland. Doesn't say wife's name but he is married.
This might be a good time to mention that I have been chasing Elizabeth McKnight married to Hugh Brown who was married in 1883 in Philadelphia and then they lived in Gloucester City,  Camden Co. New Jersey. The last time i found Elizabeth is on the 1930 census and the last time I found Hugh is on the 1940 census. His father is William Henry Brown of Ireland but I don't know her father's name. Just that in the much discussed will, Grandfather Hugh mentions his daughter Elizabeth Brown and I was going crazy trying to find a marriage in Ireland but then I found one in Philadelphia. In view of what we have just found regarding Hugh who is probably her brother, I think I was on the right track. But I can't find a death for Elizabeth Brown nee McKnight between 1930 and 1940 or for Hugh Brown after 1940.
Maybe grandson Hugh actually died in the USA but had money in Ireland.
Peggy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 November 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Well it is 23:30 here so time to say Good McKnight !!   ;D

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 November 18 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Good McKnight!!! I just found Hannah's death, under Anna in 1885. So now we have sorted out Hugh McKnight, wife and sons. Except for where is Hugh in 1901 and where exactly did he die?
I did find the emigration of a Hugh McKnight, age 23, in 1905 to Philadelphia,  born Deroy which is probably Derry.
I wish I could find the deaths of Elizabeth Brown and her husband Hugh Brown in New Jersey.
Peggy

Offline tedd1ebear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 June 20 13:27 BST (UK) »
Peggy13

Elizabeth McKnight Born Jan 1856 Ireland. Arrived New York 10 May 1876. Married Hugh Brown 12 April 1882 Philadelphia.  Died  7 Feb 1938 at 302 North Boulevard, Gloucester City Camden NJ.
Buried 10 Feb 1938 at Harleigh Cemetery, NJ.

I found her Obit on www.newspapers.com;
Brown, -Feb 7 Elizabeth (nee McKnight), wife of Hugh Brown, aged 84 years.
Relatives and friends are invited to funeral, Thurs 2 P.M. from late residence
302 N Broadway, Gloucester, N. J.  Int Harleigh Cem.   Viewing Wed Eve.

Hugh Brown, Born 12 Mar 1859 Tulylinskey, Magherafelt, Co Londonderry.  Arrived 1878 (1930 census) / 1881 (1920 census). Died 22 Oct 1941 at 302 north Broadway Gloucester City Camden N.J.  Buried 27 Oct 1941 with his wife Elizabeth at  Harleigh Cemetery N.J.

His obit on www.newspapers.com:
Hugh Brown.
Services for Hugh Brown, 83, one of the oldest residents of Gloucester, who died Wednesday after a short illness, will b conducted Saturday at 2 p.m.  at his residence 302 North Broadway. Burial will be in Harleigh Cemetery. Surviving are two sons, Augustus and William; three daughters, Mrs Thomas Marshall and Mrs Grace Mower, all of Gloucester, and Mrs Abbie Laing , of Westmont: 12 grandchildren, and 10 great-grand-children.

Paul Simpson
Newtownards
N Ireland 

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 June 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul for all this info. I had found some of it between this posting and your reply. I have yet to find the death of Olive T. Mower nee Brown, first wife of Samuel Walter Mower who later married Olive's sister Catherine Grace Brown. Also have not found the marriage to Catherine.
Peggy