Author Topic: Wanting to know more before Nov 11th  (Read 1256 times)

Offline 58FAB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting to know more before Nov 11th
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 January 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

With the 100th anniversary approaching, i realise i know little about my x2 great grandfathers, i have read the service records but to be honest i'm not clued up on military history so still am not much the wiser. I was wondering if anyone with the knowledge would be kind enough to look up the records of my great grandfathers, both of whom survived the war and give me some insight into what they did, where they went and their roles withing the war, it would mean no end. they were

Herbert Prestidge born Newbold on Avon 1894 son of Daniel
Thomas Gilliver born 1895 Nuneaton, reg number 19610

Many thanks in anticipation
Hi jason20,

as others have said, your great great grandfather, Herbert Prestidge served in C/58 throughout his time in the military.  I'm currently researching 58 Bde RFA and have posted a summary of what I have found out about him on there (www.58FAB.com/personnel). 

I'm particularly intrigued as to why, having risen rapidly to the second highest non-commissioned appointment in a battery at age 21, he asked to be returned to the ranks shortly after a period of leave at home. 

If you've any questions about his service or the unit, I'll be happy to try to help.  And if you find a copy of a photo of him you'd be willing to share, that would be great.

David.