Author Topic: Harrison  (Read 6419 times)

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Wow

There are parts in your last 2 messages that I don't have.

That will help me a lot.

The only link I can't be sure is the one with the Samuel on the passenger list. At Isle of Man it is Thomas Samuel Harrison. In Montreal always wrote T S Harrison but on the passenger list it said only Samuel.

And for James I found a link with the Borrowes surname. In fact the two children of TS Harrison was James and Leslie (which is the father of my friend here). They have been raised by her Aunt, Mildred Borrowes ;-)

I am still at the beginning of my researches but this help me a lot.

In this family they all died very young so it doesn't help.

I am also looking to find some photos if I can. My friend would be hysteric ;-) They only have one photo of her father Leslie.

Do you know where I could get a photo of the graves of Henry and Elizabeth Harrisson in Rushen ?
Bernier

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with the photographs I'm afraid. I had a quick look at the findagrave website but couldn't see anything there.

Just want to make sure you didn't miss my last post with the marriage , confirming you have the right person ? You may already have been typing when I posted it.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I understand. I also did some research for the grave.

I didn't miss your posts. I will have to dig further here but it looks like a good link.

I will try to investigate with the tool I have here and let you know ;-)

Which tools did you use to get all this ? It looks more accurate than the Family Search site !

Thank you very much for all your help
Bernier

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 November 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
The marriage , baptism and death records are from Quebec, Canada , Vital & Church Records ( Drouin Collection ) 1621 - 1968 which are on Ancestry with images from the registers. If you don't have a subscription you may be able to access Ancestry from your library ( this is certainly the case in England but I don't know about Quebec ). The passenger lists and census records are also on Ancestry but some may be available on the familysearch website too. The 1921 Canada census is not on familysearch but is freely available at http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx ( however in this instance I couldn't find the record ! )

Do post again if you have other queries - there are lots of members who love a challenge ! If you want more on the Canadian side you can ask for this thread to be moved to the Canada board if you wish.

Christine

And a belated welcome to RootsChat , which I should have said at the beginning !

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 November 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, I appreciate.

I might register to Ancestry. They do seems reliable and more complete.

For the grave I will try to find a contact at Isle of Man that could take pictures for me ;-)

Thank you again you are great help.
Bernier

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 November 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I just found a direct link to Thomas Samuel Harrison in Isle of Man and the one in the passenger list in 1913.

I found a newspaper article reporting the following ;-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
On Monday evening last a highly successful social gathering was held at "Crofton "-the residence of Mr and Mrs Joseph McArd, to hid farewell to Messrs Alfred Harrison. Charles Kelly, and Samuel Harrison, all of whom purpose leaving the Island for Montreal, Canada, on. Tuesday next- As a small memento of their connection with the choir and other organisations of Port Erin Wesieyan Church, Mr Philip Cain, C.T.C (choir master), presented each of them, ' on behalf of the choir and a few friends, with handsomely bound copies oi the Methodist Tune Book, or Holy Bible, and the Rev- Charles E. Cook, and Messrs Joseph McArd and P. Cain testified to the appreciation of their work in the church and district, and wished them God-speed in their new country. Mr and Mrs Joseph McArd generously provided the tea and charmingly acted the part of host and hostess, the 40 or so guests present spending a most profitable and enjoyable evening.

---------------------------------------------------------------

So now I can continue on that track. Thank you for your help.
Bernier

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 November 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic ! So pleased this is all coming together for you.

Christine

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 November 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you but this is more for my friend which never had any idea of her origin.

She now has shared feelings about all this. ;-)

She never knew her origin was British. She lost her father at 5 years old and her mother never told the story and didn't have any information when she also died.

Her sisters and brother didn't know all this also.

I am very happy to help her on this and hope to be able to give her a lot more information. Still working on it ;-)

That's a nice story...
Bernier

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 November 18 06:34 GMT (UK) »
If you have a little patience, I may be able to get photos of any gravestones.

As I said before, this weekend is really busy for me - manic, even!
I didn't get home until after midnight last night, and have to be before 8:30 this morning ;)
Besides which, yesterday was torrential rain - some rally stages were cancelled last night.

Let me know which graves, or persons, you are interested in, and I can check the burial registers and Monumental Inscriptions at the Manx Museum Library.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)