Author Topic: Harrison  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Harrison
« on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am from Quebec - Canada and I am looking for some genealogy information on Harrison families.

I doing this work as a gift for one of my friend which never knew her origin. Since I can't travel to the Isle of Man, i would like to be able to discuss with someone who could help me.

Thank you.
Bernier

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

You are going to have to be a little more specific ;D

ManxBMD.com has 522 Harrison births recorded since 1863.
Compulsory Registration of Births began in 1878; so you are going to have to rely on Parish Registers.

FamilySearch.org may prove useful - you need to register, but searches are free.
www.iMuseum.im may also help - use the People tab, and Advanced Search.
Another excellent site is the ManxNoteBook (http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook)

The Manx Museum Library offers a list of researchers (including me!).
I have already helped 2 Canadians :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the answer.

I am already registered to FamilySearch and iMuseum  ;)

I got a lot of information but still trying to confirm the link from Quebec to Isle of Man.

The person I am trying to find details is :

Thomas Samuel Harrison 34 yold in 1921.

He arrived in Canada from Liverpool in 1913 from the Passenger List.
My researches directed to Mr. Henry Harrison and Elizabeth Kelly as his parents.
The age look the same but I am trying to figure if the one in the archives of Isle de Man : born on 13 March 1887 is the same that took the boat in 1913 from Liverpool  ;)

I am also looking for graves pictures of Henry Harrison death: 1905 and Elizabeth Harrison (Kelly) death: 1916

All this seems to be in Rushen.

Thank you.
Bernier

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 18 21:59 GMT (UK) »
ManxBMD has:
1887, Harrison, Thomas Samuel, Rushen

There is no other Thomas whose birth was registered within 10 years either side of 1887 that fits.

His baptism is on iMuseum:
https://www.imuseum.im/search/agent_record/view?id=mnh-agent-736017&type=agent&tab=people&from=0&term=&size=20&sort=&filter=&view=&images=&ttmgp=0&rfname=&rlname=&machine=&race=&raceyear=&linked=0&title=&firstname=Thomas&lastname=Harrison&dfrom=1886&dto=1888&gender=&nationality=&occupation=&parish=&church=&townvillage=&address=&subtype%5b%5d=Baptisms&century=&pos=0

Baptism 13th March 1887, parents Henry Nelson Harrison and Elizabeth (Kelly). Father a fisherman.

Grave photos I may be able to help with; but not for a week or two.
(I am very busy with a Car Rally this weekend!)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
As Henry was a fisherman, he was likely absent from home on some censuses?

1891 census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4B2H-93Z

1901 census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X91J-M1L

1911 census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7VQ-8C7

On the latest census Thomas was a Mason Builder - does that match with Canadian censuses?

Offline Jocelyn Bernier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 November 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's why I figured it might be him.

In french they wrote 'Platrier' in census of 1921 in Montreal

Bernier

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
On the 1913 Passenger List for the Hesperia ( I'm assuming this is the one you mean ) ,
Samuel Harrison  born 1887 Isle of Man , plasterer , is travelling with Alfred Harrison b 1889 Isle of Man , also a plasterer.
Alfred Harrison is on the 1921 census in Montreal with wife Christie. I cannot post a link to the Library & Archives website as the record appears to be missing , although it is on ancestry.
Looking for Alfred in the Isle of Man I found -

John Alfred Harrison baptised 18 Nov 1888 Rushen , parents James Harrison and Margaret , nee Kelly. I think it's possible , or maybe likely , that James Harrison was the brother of Henry Harrison.

1871 census Rushen , Isle of Man

Ann Harrison 46 head
Henry Harrison 13
James Harrison 6
+ numerous others
RG10; Piece: 5778; Folio: 100; Page: 23

Edit : I've now found an ancestry tree which gives a date of death for (John) Alfred of
18 Apr 1944 Montreal
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 November 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Baptism for James Harrison born 1920 Quebec

James Keith Beatty Harrison , infant son of Thomas Samuel Harrison , plasterer, of the City and District of Montreal , and of his wife Mabel Ethelwyn , ( not sure of surname - could be Burrowes )
27 Feb 1919 Montreal , Quebec , Methodist.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Mabel Ethelwyn Harrison ( formerly Borrowes ) of Montreal , wife of Samuel Harrison , plasterer,
died in the twenty ninth year of her age on 23 Sep 1923.

I realise you probably have this and other records but I am hoping that something may come to light by researching around the family.

Edit : I've found the marriage of Mabel Ethelwyn and Thomas Samuel. It confirms that he is the son of Henry Harrison and Elizabeth Kelly :

Thomas Samuel Harrison bachelor , of full age , plasterer of 265 Union Avenue , Montreal ,son of Henry Harrison and Elizabeth Kelly of the Isle of Man , and Mabel Ethelwin Borrowes , spinster of full age , daughter of the Late Robert Borrowes and Ophilia were married on the authority of license 25th February 1918 at Methodist St James , Montreal.